It is much more complicated than that, although Dutch does have formal (U) and informal (je)
in my example the informal je changes to a colloquial gij
Where you talk in the third person to people in formal settings?
Or is it just totally different?
It's freaking hard when there are totally different vowels and consonants that your body is incapable of reproducing
and order food or a drink, greetings around the officse, etc. It's....not going well. It's so complicated, the vowel sounds are very different, and I can't understand a single thing in any conversation we hear in public. When I mentioned that to my Dutch teacher, she said because around town people aren't using the formal Dutch we are being taught.
An example from today's lesson, the question 'Did you get a bike?:
Proper Dutch, what we are learning and what is used in business - Heb je een fiets gekregen?
Colloquial Dutch, what you may say to colleagues or acquaintences - Hebt gij fiets gehad?
Informal dialect which you would speak with close friends (in this case, Antwerp dialect) - Hedde gij ne vlo gat?
It feels impossible to learn and compeltely futile to even try.
Message Thread | This response ↓|
I am taking Dutch lessons in hopes of one day being able to have brief, easy exchanges - opey8 October 10, 2019, 5:51:45
- On on Vandersexxx! - SurfTheBoneyard October 10, 2019, 12:35:36
- Ich bin ein Mann! - timmer October 10, 2019, 12:20:21
- not meant in a negative way, but have you learned/spoken a foreign language before? - torinese October 10, 2019, 11:26:12
- doesn't basically everyone in the netherlands speak english?* - gvibes October 10, 2019, 8:37:48
- My sister is doing a similar thing with Spanish - snipes824 October 10, 2019, 8:11:41
- I'm going to start on Czech - TarheelIllini October 10, 2019, 8:11:11
- here’s my question - biclops October 10, 2019, 7:50:25
- Is it like the usted form in spanish? - ijustkrushalot October 10, 2019, 6:13:07
- It is much more complicated than that, although Dutch does have formal (U) and informal (je) - opey8 October 10, 2019, 6:16:44
- If the goal is being able to communicate, seems like learning proper Dutch would answer the mail - DT October 10, 2019, 6:10:56
« Back to index | View thread »