I think it all comes down to isaiah williams
it's not out of the realm of possibilities that an athlete like that is a breakout star in year 3.
on the other hand, we'll lose a lot and there's the possibility he's not.
What are people's expectations of the 2021 season? 2 wins? 3 wins? 6 wins? I think it could be playing into the perception of the 2021 recruiting class.
Because I know most talk of the 2021 class is pretty bad, and that's the right way to go about it considering we struggle to land difference makers and top 1000 players and 4-stars and such. And it is make or break since this will be the first opportunity to get a huge influx of prep talent since 2017.
But if Lovie and Co. find a way to 5 wins in 2021 do you think he is fired? I think most of us would be overjoyed. And then if he isn't fired, I feel pretty confident the staff can identify and supplement the prep deficiencies with transfers (see 2017 class).
I get that recruiting matters and that the 2021 class needs to be better. But the 2021 class is not going to get Lovie fired. And if Lovie is not fired by the time the 2021 class is relied upon for contributions I think they'll stop gap with enough transfers that by 2023 or 2024 the class of 2021 won't be bringing down the team (this is just my opinion, obviously). It won't be uplifting the team like a 20+ man prep class should be doing, but the staff has at least found major contributors at key positions when starting spots have been opwn/weak (BP18, Bhebhe, Petitbon/Jeresaty maybe, Eifler, Wole kinda, and then hopefully Tresean Smith this year, Hightower next year, and maybe throw in a Brevyn Jones).
At least for me, it was a nice realization to have this morning, because as sad as I've been about the 2021 recruiting class, I think if we surprise in the 2021 season it will help with transfer pitch, maybe finishing the 2022 class, and the overall tenor of the 2023 class (hopefully 2 straight bowls and a competitive 2021 campaign). But that's optimistic me and also Packers fan me who always saw Lovie's Bears teams play competitive ball or exceeding my expectations, and that's most likely skewing my perception as it relates to the 2021 season and then my emphasis on 2021 recruiting.
Looking at the 2021 schedule it looks like UTSA and Charlotte will be the only "we should definitely win this game" games, so then I'm genuinely curious to hear what people think of that schedule. Because the class of 2021 could turn into transfer nation if Lovie is not here when they are still developing as underclassmen.
Message Thread | This response ↓|
Rod Smith with an early morning Flair tweet* - Phytynlini June 19, 2020, 7:54:49
- Seems the CB's expect DD Snyder (FL DB) to commit to UI in a few hours* - UofIL6 Today, 9:33:07
- Elite 11 QB Ranking (Macon) - UofIL6 July 1, 2020, 21:26:13
- Fleck cleared out his lowest rated recruit. Now, all 15 commits are top 1000* - UofIL6 July 1, 2020, 11:48:15
- Mack Brown still has it - UofIL6 June 30, 2020, 16:57:19
- ESL Tweet (Miznoz) - UofIL6 June 26, 2020, 16:22:43
- In-state GBN OL Jackson Carsello to NW/Fitzy* - UofIL6 June 24, 2020, 12:11:38
- Vic Koenning accusations. - gullit June 23, 2020, 22:21:29
- STL Trinity S Ty Hibbler to Miznoz. They now have 13 top-1000 commitments - UofIL6 June 23, 2020, 20:53:59
- U Texas offers '23 STL recruit - UofIL6 June 22, 2020, 20:28:36
- Another failure by the Illinois recruiting staff. Demetrius Cannon to Louisville. - uofi1998 June 22, 2020, 15:07:13
- Miznoz gets a 4* LB commit from NC - UofIL6 June 21, 2020, 16:59:42
- We just got a CB for a Chevy.... - illinidarrin June 21, 2020, 14:22:32
- Question I woke up thinking about this morning regarding the 2021 season: - AyBayBalas June 21, 2020, 10:57:37
- we moved to 12/14 in conference recruit rankings - illiniranger June 21, 2020, 5:38:49
- Ha, just Saw a fb ad from a local car dealer... - illini21 June 20, 2020, 10:06:47
- Three thoughts - illiniranger June 19, 2020, 22:29:17
- Joriell Washington* - KCWildcat June 19, 2020, 16:28:21
- *waiting patiently for UofIL6 to tell us why we shouldn't be OK with this....* - Illiniphil June 19, 2020, 21:06:08
- I like him alot* - JacobRDaugherty June 19, 2020, 20:47:51
- I wonder if he tested really well after his sophomore season at camps and such because his junior - AyBayBalas June 19, 2020, 17:07:42
- Very skeptical he has a committable Oregon offer... but... - uofi1998 June 19, 2020, 16:35:19
- Hudson is building this class* - CanHartlebHireSnider June 19, 2020, 16:34:46
- Nice. Good pick up at S. Great size and speed.* - ihpsdm June 19, 2020, 16:34:12
- link to his 247 page - assassin June 19, 2020, 16:30:32
- Aaron Gonzalez says more are coming in Will Smith GIF form - DanSaint June 19, 2020, 15:16:26
- I always think about the Denver Broncos WR, one of my first FF hits - memyselfandillini June 19, 2020, 14:32:57
- ESL QB Tyler Macon invited to Elite 11 finals. We didn't want him or want to deal with his school* - UofIL6 June 19, 2020, 13:51:26
- Sounds like another one* - Phytynlini June 19, 2020, 13:24:18
- It was indeed Lockley. - uofi1998 June 19, 2020, 11:52:48
- Weíll get some recruiting mojo just in time for the season to be cancelled.* - nash June 19, 2020, 8:05:37
- probably this kid - snipes824 June 19, 2020, 8:00:03
- Yes it was * - jdl June 19, 2020, 11:42:03
- We are seeing the recruiting upside from the bowl game* - gvibes June 19, 2020, 9:44:44
- I'm sure, like the remainder of the class, he is highly underrated* - UofIL6 June 19, 2020, 8:09:01
- Our staff must be amazing teachers. - uofi1998 June 19, 2020, 8:06:39
- ooo - jdl June 19, 2020, 7:59:42
- And several other coaches with gifts as well. With #tooill as the hashtag* - DanSaint June 19, 2020, 7:58:24
« Back to index | View thread »