instate (and in the Midwest) it just seems like he doesn't care about it
i don't see any kind of a grand plan. he seems to have no interest in developing any special relationships in Illinois. Why? Who knows, but part of this game is being present around HS players and coaches. if he thinks he's above that because he coached in the NFL he needs to take a hard look over at *gulp* Rutgers. Their NFL guy is getting after it in his state.
It's worth mentioning that Clark was the guy that pulled the "multiple P5 offer" types out of FL last year like Johnny Newton. Clark left, the "multiple P5 offer" well dried up there pretty much immediately.
I read an interview with Joriell Washington in which Washington said that he only talked to Lovie once on the phone before committing here. I get that most of the leg work in recruiting is done by the assistants but it's surprising to me how uninvolved Lovie is throughout some of these recruitments.
I get the feeling that just about anyone could do better given the resources we have here. Instate recruiting is always going to be a challenge since Chicagoland is over recruited and most conference teams have easy access to that area but there's no reason why we should ever get shut out of the state.
I won't speak to what happened in the 90s in terms of recruiting here since it's irrelevant, but there's no reason to accept what's happening now as being good enough for this program.
Getting a younger guy in here who has the desire to actually recruit would really help. Lovie doesn't appear to have the desire or energy to kiss the feet of HS kids. Instead we're looking at upgrading talent through the portal with washouts which just is not a good way to build a program.
And by it I mean recruiting. Like I said I havenít been around here long enough but even if you look at the past decade itís not great. The classes are usually anywhere from 50-70 with a smattering of top 40s in there lol which is just brutal.
Which gets back to ďcoaching them up,Ē and I donít know if Lovie is the guy. On one hand, heís a consistent guy seemingly in that he should be able to keep a programís floor higher than borderline MAC with the talent evaluation, but on the other hand he doesnít have the energy to go out and get the Jimmy and Joes needed. And same goes for play style. Last year there wasnít really a game besides Minny and the latter portion of Michigan where we were really out of it. But at the same time we can count on every non-con game to be close and for us to probably lose one. That might be recency bias though because the 63-0s were very very recent and expose the greater flaws of the Lovie defense in college.
Iím really excited about this season, and the optimist in me will be very hopeful for 2021, but at the same time if this all comes crashing to the ground and we rebuild 2.0 I wonít be surprised. I just donít know who (unless we find the next Fleck who has inroads to the state) would realistically be able to turn Illinois around in recruiting. Which is why Iím more inclined to just let Lovie have the reigns to the program for a few more years and see if he can build something up to then recruit from.
Like Iím too ignorant to know when Wisconsin and Iowa turned it around in recruiting, and I kinda understand Northwestern because they got a guy who was so bought in he could easily sell the school to guys once he built his base. I just donít know what the solution would be at Illinois in a post Lovie world that would significantly alter the trajectory of the program.
Itís never going to improve. Itís just a slow painful death at this point.
Message Thread | This response ↓|
Rod Smith with an early morning Flair tweet* - Phytynlini June 19, 2020, 7:54:49
- Seems the CB's expect DD Snyder (FL DB) to commit to UI in a few hours* - UofIL6 Today, 9:33:07
- Elite 11 QB Ranking (Macon) - UofIL6 July 1, 2020, 21:26:13
- Fleck cleared out his lowest rated recruit. Now, all 15 commits are top 1000* - UofIL6 July 1, 2020, 11:48:15
- Mack Brown still has it - UofIL6 June 30, 2020, 16:57:19
- ESL Tweet (Miznoz) - UofIL6 June 26, 2020, 16:22:43
- In-state GBN OL Jackson Carsello to NW/Fitzy* - UofIL6 June 24, 2020, 12:11:38
- Vic Koenning accusations. - gullit June 23, 2020, 22:21:29
- STL Trinity S Ty Hibbler to Miznoz. They now have 13 top-1000 commitments - UofIL6 June 23, 2020, 20:53:59
- U Texas offers '23 STL recruit - UofIL6 June 22, 2020, 20:28:36
- Lovie Smith will never recruit well - illiniranger June 23, 2020, 5:17:24
- Heís a horrifically poor constructor of P5 staffs. Itís absurd. * - uofi1998 June 23, 2020, 21:47:52
- Itís all bad, but maybe they only need to hit on a couple recruits anyway? - AyBayBalas June 23, 2020, 21:17:09
- several responses to this post and the ones below - illiniranger June 24, 2020, 0:57:27
- Out talent acquisition is anywhere from 10-14th since Lovie came in. - uofi1998 June 23, 2020, 21:48:59
- Hasnít it been dead for awhile though? - AyBayBalas June 23, 2020, 22:10:34
- It doesn't appear like he's even trying from the outside looking in. - ihpsdm June 24, 2020, 11:31:51
- instate (and in the Midwest) it just seems like he doesn't care about it - illiniranger June 24, 2020, 12:20:09
- Tepper, Turner, and Zook all recruited fairly well at times - illiniranger June 24, 2020, 2:42:31
- We didnít hire Lovie to be worse than bad, but thatís basically what youíre describing. - uofi1998 June 23, 2020, 22:27:39
- Isnít that the school that Moses Okpala came from?* - AyBayBalas June 22, 2020, 20:53:58
- Yep* - UofIL6 June 22, 2020, 20:58:10
- Another failure by the Illinois recruiting staff. Demetrius Cannon to Louisville. - uofi1998 June 22, 2020, 15:07:13
- Miznoz gets a 4* LB commit from NC - UofIL6 June 21, 2020, 16:59:42
- We just got a CB for a Chevy.... - illinidarrin June 21, 2020, 14:22:32
- Question I woke up thinking about this morning regarding the 2021 season: - AyBayBalas June 21, 2020, 10:57:37
- we moved to 12/14 in conference recruit rankings - illiniranger June 21, 2020, 5:38:49
- Ha, just Saw a fb ad from a local car dealer... - illini21 June 20, 2020, 10:06:47
- Three thoughts - illiniranger June 19, 2020, 22:29:17
- Joriell Washington* - KCWildcat June 19, 2020, 16:28:21
- *waiting patiently for UofIL6 to tell us why we shouldn't be OK with this....* - Illiniphil June 19, 2020, 21:06:08
- I like him alot* - JacobRDaugherty June 19, 2020, 20:47:51
- I wonder if he tested really well after his sophomore season at camps and such because his junior - AyBayBalas June 19, 2020, 17:07:42
- Very skeptical he has a committable Oregon offer... but... - uofi1998 June 19, 2020, 16:35:19
- Hudson is building this class* - CanHartlebHireSnider June 19, 2020, 16:34:46
- Nice. Good pick up at S. Great size and speed.* - ihpsdm June 19, 2020, 16:34:12
- link to his 247 page - assassin June 19, 2020, 16:30:32
- Aaron Gonzalez says more are coming in Will Smith GIF form - DanSaint June 19, 2020, 15:16:26
- I always think about the Denver Broncos WR, one of my first FF hits - memyselfandillini June 19, 2020, 14:32:57
- ESL QB Tyler Macon invited to Elite 11 finals. We didn't want him or want to deal with his school* - UofIL6 June 19, 2020, 13:51:26
- Sounds like another one* - Phytynlini June 19, 2020, 13:24:18
- It was indeed Lockley. - uofi1998 June 19, 2020, 11:52:48
- Weíll get some recruiting mojo just in time for the season to be cancelled.* - nash June 19, 2020, 8:05:37
- probably this kid - snipes824 June 19, 2020, 8:00:03
- Yes it was * - jdl June 19, 2020, 11:42:03
- We are seeing the recruiting upside from the bowl game* - gvibes June 19, 2020, 9:44:44
- I'm sure, like the remainder of the class, he is highly underrated* - UofIL6 June 19, 2020, 8:09:01
- Our staff must be amazing teachers. - uofi1998 June 19, 2020, 8:06:39
- ooo - jdl June 19, 2020, 7:59:42
- And several other coaches with gifts as well. With #tooill as the hashtag* - DanSaint June 19, 2020, 7:58:24
« Back to index | View thread »