Probably. My point is that the courts have already rejected this.
Edited by ihpsdm on July 15, 2020, 11:18:03
The Dems still passed this with heavy opposition from the unions.
It was determined to be unconstitutional so offering up "pension reform" through the legislature is a non-starter and it's a waste of time to suggest that they pursue this. The Trib and the IPI know this (probably).
I'm guessing AFSCME knew well and good that the proposed changes wouldn't pass a court test.....but they'd look good in the public eye supporting a bill that had zero chance of surviving the court challenge.
The courts rejected this.
This is really a non-starter. If they could reduce benefits to Tier 1 pensioners than this would have been done by now. This really isn't a viable option for the problems we're facing right now.
I think allowing states to file for bankruptcy or a bailout from the U.S. are the only way out right now.
...won't do that.
Public sector unions are one of the biggest reasons the Democratic party has run this state forever. Illinois Dems are not going to bite the hand that feeds them.
The real problem is Tier 1 pensions and we're going to be paying for that for many years because we can't reduce their benefits. If something could be done about that then it would have been done by now.
They also ignore SB1 which was passed by the Illinois democrats in 2013 but shot down by the Illinois courts because of the way the Illinois constitution is written.
I should have said VIABLE solutions. There are none which is why we're where we're at now. The Edgar ramp was designed to defer expenses to a later date and now we're paying for it.
I'm not happy with the Illionis democrats but Rauner couldn't even pass a budget. There is no way to get around Tier 1 pensions as the Commerce Clause of the US Constitution is a hurdle we can't get past.
Pritzker has actually managed to get things done, unlike Rauner.
Called out Pritzger for doing nothing about property taxes (but saying he would) before trying for a bigger money grab.
Not sure why it's an LOL....the Democrats have run the state to the brink of bankruptcy. I don't trust them to make change for a dollar, let alone do something productive with more of my money than they already get.
Message Thread | This response ↓|
Don't remember seeing this posted. Trib editorial fires both barrels at Pritzger and Madigan. - Illiniphil July 15, 2020, 9:01:05
- Everybody saying that nothing can be done is really not sustainable. - londoner July 17, 2020, 10:20:47
- Bankruptcy or a Federal bailout are the only options. - ihpsdm July 17, 2020, 10:57:20
- Eh? Chicago is still the most attractive city in the midwest* - ECEIllinois July 17, 2020, 10:29:19
- Ok, but there are areas other than the Midwest that people can choose to settle in. * - londoner July 17, 2020, 10:39:57
- Yet, we have seen the largest drop in population this decade.* - PrkrLewis July 17, 2020, 10:34:45
- raw numbers don't tell the whole story. inflow of educated 20-somethings to chicago during last 10 - cpsteine July 17, 2020, 10:57:34
- My thesis is some of the population drop in chicago can be attributed to single or dual-income - ijustkrushalot July 17, 2020, 13:43:32
- Wherever he is, BigBop's ears just perked up* - longsnapper July 17, 2020, 11:06:13
- How many of those educated 20-somethings leave once they have kids who are 3 or 4 years old?* - IlliniOllie July 17, 2020, 11:01:57
- Right, it's becoming a more global big city while pricing out a lot of people - reggiedunlop July 17, 2020, 11:01:52
- Eh? I think Detroit, Cleveland and St. Louis have seen bigger declines. - ihpsdm July 17, 2020, 10:55:21
- Itís a slippery slope. JB gets this passed under the assumption that he is only raising taxes on the - PrkrLewis July 15, 2020, 10:29:21
- tl;dr: Don't tax me, bro!* - Jackie July 15, 2020, 9:12:10
- When is Madigan going to die?* - cpsteine July 15, 2020, 9:08:39
- This isn't news. Did you really expect a different editorial from the Tribune?* - ihpsdm July 15, 2020, 9:08:30
- Pay Wall. if it's bitching about the progressive income tax - ijustkrushalot July 15, 2020, 9:06:21
- It's "Do you trust Illinois Democrats to do anything different if they get more of your money?" - Illiniphil July 15, 2020, 9:14:42
- They (the Tribune and the IPI) never offer solutions. They just complain about the problem. - ihpsdm July 15, 2020, 9:22:35
- That's the GOP's entire platform: complain about problems, offer no solutions* - Desert July 17, 2020, 10:02:22
- Didn't the State implement a huge tax increase just 3 years ago? - HectorVillanueva19 July 15, 2020, 11:50:24
- Trib has repeatedly proposed pension reform, if that counts* - Potomac July 15, 2020, 9:46:10
- Well, in their defense, it's not really the editors' job to come up with solutions - Jackie July 15, 2020, 9:26:41
- I'll admit if I was an Illinois resident I would have voted for Rauner - ijustkrushalot July 15, 2020, 9:25:41
- I hate Madigan as much as any Republican, but flat income tax is a joke* - Jackie July 15, 2020, 9:18:53
- Bitching about the progressive income tax AND lack of property tax relief - Jackie July 15, 2020, 9:12:49
- JB has done a good job handling the virus. I'll give him that* - bjl63 July 15, 2020, 9:04:20
« Back to index | View thread »