Are you southern?*
The correct response was Berry Gordy and the contestant in 3rd wrote “Barry Gordy” and they counted it as incorrect.
Jeopardy is not supposed to rule against misspellings as long as it does not alter the pronunciation or add a syllable.
For 57% of Americans, there is what is called the Merry/Marry/Mary merger, where the vowels in all three of those sound the same. Jeopardy is ostensibly making the ruling based on the other 43% that pronounce them differently. That’s the only thing I can think of.
It didn’t alter the results. She had no chance of even making 2nd, let alone winning. Just a strange ruling, i thought.
Also, TIL: it’s Berry Gordy, not Barry Gordy.
Message Thread | This response ↓|
Strange ruling on Final Jeopardy today (sp) - VIV September 15, 2020, 19:57:51 [poll]
- They will probably announce the correction befo tomorrow’s game. * - BoCool September 15, 2020, 22:05:45
- Maybe the spelling has to be correct on Final Jeopardy? - Vandy September 15, 2020, 20:56:31
- I think I would have just written "Gordy". :-) - osklister September 15, 2020, 20:55:30
- Is that the same 43% of the country that votes for Trump?* - HamptonSki September 15, 2020, 20:25:49
- They are taking a hammering on social media - Stu September 15, 2020, 20:06:30
- (Most people)* - VIV September 15, 2020, 20:10:27
- Sad* - Stu September 15, 2020, 20:10:53
- Sed?* - VIV September 15, 2020, 20:12:11
- Sod?* - Stu September 15, 2020, 20:17:15
- I think I would say them differently reading them, but if someone introduced themselves or a friend - jayd September 15, 2020, 20:04:19
- I had someone else bring this up too, no clear answer* - reggiedunlop September 15, 2020, 20:01:27
« Back to index | View thread »