OK... my comments...
Posted by uofi1998
on September 16, 2020, 10:32:12, in reply to "See inside
QB - can Peters play consistently or stay healthy?
Ultimately, that's the question. Year 2 and plenty of talent, and showed the ability to make some plays with his feet. No excuses. Who ends up being the primary backup? Probably Juice2...
RB - can Epstein stay healthy? Is Chase Brown good?
I think between Brown and Love there's enough here to be Big Ten average. I don't expect Epstein to last more than a few games. Poor kid must be related to Mikey Dudek.
OL - solid if unspectacular. Lots of experience.
Perfect description. Only draftee on the line is the one whose eligibility doesn't run out this year. Tackles have ton to prove this year.
TE - good group, like many teams, can you get them involved? Ford and BheBhe 1.0 are very versatile.
Real potential here, but a lower value position.
3 really solid players here - it's entirely on Rod Smith to get them on the field together and create mismatches. This could be a big difference maker for our offense.
WR - BheBhe 2.0 is good, everyone else is either limited or a big ?
The immediate eligibilities of Hightower and Thompson create a pretty solid amount of depth here. Untested, but a group with some talent on paper.
DE - not much here. Couple grinders, no reliable pass rusher
Time for the redshirt freshmen to assert themselves. Randolph and Coleman are the same age as the year Bobby Roundtree made a name for himself... also some guy named Rice.
DT - Is Perry good in the B1G? Is Avery good? Woods stay healthy? Yes to all, you like what you have.
Gigantic, enormous question mark. But they did do a pretty decent job finding mature bodies to plug in. We'll see.
LB - big ? IMO. No one as good as Harding, will be tough to replace. Hansen tends to disappear in B1G when teams are bigger and more physical. LB a low value position, you can get away with a Tolson/DeGroot, etc.
Hanson and Eifler need to stay healthy. Given that we run so much base, LB is more important in our scheme than it is in football at large, IMO.
CB - Adams maybe S. Like Hobbs and Witherspoon. Beason a ? coming off injury. Could be a good group.
Best position foursome on the team. The extra 2 months has to be good for Beason. Team is better with Adams at CB even if S is downgraded. I don't think he's particularly good at S.
S - weakest group on the team. Sidney Brown and then a bunch of MAC caliber guys. Adams could move here.
Biggest hole on the team. Brown is above average, and the rest are just not good.
Not a Darrin. Do we have any playmakers on either of the side of the ball?
Throw in any other season preview type stuff here. (Comeback Roughy)
Big Ten records at Illinois through Year 4
White 24-11, Mackovic 22-9-1, Tepper 16-14-2
Turner 8-24 (.250), Zook 10-22 (.313)
LOVIE 8-28 (.222)
Message Thread | This response ↓|
Great, so letís talk specifically about the football team. Whatís the depth chart look like? - MC September 16, 2020, 9:58:08
- Twitter is... atwitter with movement from the Pac 12. Sounds like they're going to start making... - uofi1998 September 16, 2020, 18:07:35
- Ricky Smalling find a new school?* - Poldark September 16, 2020, 18:03:10
- Is bowl eligibility now 5-5, or do you still need 6? - illini September 16, 2020, 11:42:20
- Apparently Jeresaty is out - jdl September 16, 2020, 11:34:26
- haha wow* - snipes824 September 16, 2020, 12:17:17
- Ah itís good to have Illinois football back.* - OB25 September 16, 2020, 11:45:43
- Woah, yikes* - UofIL6 September 16, 2020, 11:36:06
- Oh for the love of... well, at least we'll have an experienced player next year. - uofi1998 September 16, 2020, 11:35:43
- So now we can all lament the loss of Smith* - CanHartlebHireSnider September 16, 2020, 10:56:57
- Wait we have two Bhebhes? * - MC September 16, 2020, 10:50:53
- Man, you really tuned out * - jdl September 16, 2020, 10:51:44
- Yep. Anything thatís happened between today and *checks notes* bowl game loss to Cal - MC September 16, 2020, 10:55:17
- A list of additional xfers that will play this year - jdl September 16, 2020, 11:30:40
- Ha, same. I vaguely remember 24 hours of panic about Beason leaving the team - OrangeSox September 16, 2020, 11:17:31
- Roughy moved to C-U * - jdl September 16, 2020, 11:00:24
- BheBhe2 is a rich man's Caleb Reams, and I hope he's used that way. - uofi1998 September 16, 2020, 10:56:22
- See inside - illiniranger September 16, 2020, 10:19:11
- Based on what youíve said there, it feels like a year where getting pushed around... - OB25 September 16, 2020, 10:50:21
- is Robinson the definite backup quarterback?* - Poldark September 16, 2020, 10:46:55
- OK... my comments... - uofi1998 September 16, 2020, 10:32:12
- I don't think you can play Adams at safety unless you can solve his confidence issue. * - larue33 September 16, 2020, 10:30:57
- DeGroot opted out - jdl September 16, 2020, 10:26:42
- please stop applying logic and reason. This is a day for orange-colored-glasses only* - ArtVandelay September 16, 2020, 10:24:52
- WR looking like a strength with the Hightower waiver. - uofi1998 September 16, 2020, 10:12:11
- yeah, sooo, what's been going on. Let's talk some football* - reggiedunlop September 16, 2020, 10:02:53
« Back to index | View thread »