Lol. Data goes against your point? ďCanít trust the data!Ē *
And there's plenty of evidence that mask wearing, sheltering in place and the like DID quite a bit to make COVID not as bad as it could have been.
We just lost too much ground because of impatience from people and predominantly red-state governors and legislatures forcing things back open too quickly.
Nothing anyone has done or abided by has made a damn bit of difference, and at enormous cost
perhaps part of my resentment is that I have been doing all of the right things for the past year, frankly at rather significant personal sacrifice in terms of my quality of life and mental health, and it doesn't seem to have made a damn bit of difference.
I've been able to see my Mom in person sporadically over the last year, first around the death of my Dad and then because she's on long-term hospice and those rules changed to allow in person visits.
The separation from elders and the separation for elders has been a terrible cost of all of this. Having been in a memory care unit to see my Dad before he passed and then in assisted living to see Mom thereafter, I can tell you that the cost on those people isolated not just from family but from each other has been stark and a terrible price to pay.
But Mom's facility had 4 COVID cases in the last year.
I am, no offense, less sympathetic to your personal dislike of masks. I don't think they are fun either, but breathing is better than not, and not spreading the disease unknowingly is something that helped me sleep. That people were so damn resistant to masks is part of the reason you haven't seen your parents, you realize.
Peeved isn't the right word, but you are correct, I really really really hate masks and everything that they stand for. I am miserable from the minute I put on a mask to the minute a take off a mask. My mouth area gets sweaty and gross almost instantly after putting on the mask. And as for the societal part of this, yes, it's absolutely for the worst. I haven't been able to see my parents in two years. How is that a good thing?
I'm arguing a specific point, which is what I thought you were complaining about: wearing a mask is such a low cost method of mitigation, the cost/benefit analysis will nearly always weigh in favor of it.
Of course COVID and the fear of the disease have impacted how we interact as people. I'm not arguing it hasn't. I would challenge the negative connotations you throw onto those changes. There's no question how we interact or the fabric of society has changed. I don't know that it's changed massively for the worst. I don't know that change is necessarily damage. It's merely change, and how good or bad it will be is something we can't judge now.
If we as a society move away from larger crowds to smaller gatherings, is that necessarily a bad thing? If we generally appreciate personal space and social distancing more, is that a bad thing?
Change isn't necessarily bad. It's just change.
My argument is that Covid, the fear of covid, and the impact of mask wearing, has done significant damage to the way we as humans interact with one another. I'm not arguing it wasn't justified, and I'm not arguing that it wasn't the right thing to do, but to argue that it didn't damage the fabric of society is being naive.
Being inconvenienced is not a cost.
are being way too narrow by what you are defining as "cost" in this instance.
Not surprised this is where this ended up.
it just isn't. This entire year has been to detriment of society as a whole in so many ways. We have completely lost our humanity.
plays soccer in one), anybody can.
I feel like I am being gaslighted.
Wearing a mask is a really, really low cost attempt at mitigation. Like almost no cost.
Why worry about masks as opposed to so many other things related to COVID?
I went to a dog park in Seattle a few days ago and there was 100% mask compliance. It just doesn't make any sense.
and/or not gather with more than one or two people indoors without masks. It's dumb. Vaccinated people ought to be able to basically live mask free except in indoor, public places. It's one of the benefits of having gotten a vaccination and I think it will increase hesitant people in getting a vaccinated.
but good public policy is about a cost/benefit analysis of risk and and reward, and an epidemiologist just isn't capable of seeing the nuance of understanding that there will always be some level of assumed risk in all of this.
numbers. Can you blame them?
Iím only getting the shot because I donít want to turn up positive a week before my wife is due in June
Civiqs polling: Percent of Americans saying they do not plan to take the vaccine https://t.co/g0iidJTY5q
Democratic seniors: 1%
All Democrats: 3%
Republican seniors: 22%
Non-senior Republicans: 50%+ pic.twitter.com/VaHWxePPNX ó Derek Thompson (@DKThomp) April 17, 2021 .
BLAM, there's my opinion people - behold
Message Thread | This response ↓|
CW16 coronavirus thread: weíre closer to 50% of US adults with 1 shot or better - ATL April 18, 2021, 9:42:24
- Andorra update: - Stu April 24, 2021, 17:43:28
- Went to the casino last night, it felt amazing to be out again. - HamptonSki April 24, 2021, 17:07:19
- Rivers?* - Mrap24 April 24, 2021, 18:18:53
- Wife got 2nd Moderna shot today. Iím heading to the movies soon - CubsWonWorldSeries April 24, 2021, 14:04:48
- Johnson and Johnson unpaused* - Taz April 23, 2021, 19:03:57
- I feel like shit this evening (2nd day after moderna 1)* - Tooldresser April 23, 2021, 18:25:59
- *second jab** - torinese April 23, 2021, 16:39:07
- Co-* - Carl Spackler April 23, 2021, 19:54:17
- our neighbors niece apparently refuses to be around her or her family - biclops April 23, 2021, 15:56:03
- Very late to the thread, but I wish they didn't report numbers in that way. - illinijohn April 23, 2021, 14:05:43
- near worst case scenario seems to be gripping India right now, huh? - assassin April 23, 2021, 13:36:44
- scUM to require students in dorms to be vaccinated - ATL April 23, 2021, 13:07:29
- Unvaccinated nursing home worker infects 46 at KY nursing home - ATL April 23, 2021, 12:25:13
- I went to the gym for the first time in over a year. Thank god they're open, gotta lose my COVID 19* - Warrin'_Illini April 23, 2021, 11:13:12
- That will be the biggest change to my routine once I get vaccinated - DT April 23, 2021, 13:18:25
- I'm actually heading to Planet Fitness over lunch today to cancel my membership. - Kajagoogoo April 23, 2021, 11:32:56
- I was the exact opposite - snipes824 April 23, 2021, 11:18:34
- I am toeing a fine line between increased alcoholic calorie intake and almost daily Peloton rides - HamptonSki April 23, 2021, 13:18:26
- same. down 25 since 13 months ago. some less drinking, more increased activity. lotta jogging* - John Coctostan April 23, 2021, 12:37:18
- NIce, congrats. I definitely upped my vice intake during covid. No regerts.* - Warrin'_Illini April 23, 2021, 11:40:02
- I don't need this kind of negativity in my life - Taz April 23, 2021, 11:34:48
- i was happy to learn that I'd lost some weight when I had my check-up with my doc - IlliniSax05 April 23, 2021, 11:23:16
- Ron Johnson can burn in hell, update 4647838. Questioning why people are pushing vaccines. - Carl Spackler April 23, 2021, 9:19:43
- I didn't realize that Reckitt Bensicker had to put out this warning about Lysol last year - ATL April 23, 2021, 6:12:49
- Got Pfizer 1 today and my shoulder is damn sore* - ilinni11 April 22, 2021, 23:43:32
- I got Moderna 1 today. When does the mind control kick in? - Tooldresser April 22, 2021, 20:55:20
- So I got my first moderna and then a positive test 7 days later. Will they give me shot 2?* - LovetheChief April 22, 2021, 17:57:35
- 2nd dose of Moderna in my arm. Currently serving my timeout in the Walmart womenís undies section. - tvillini April 22, 2021, 7:30:19
- 24+ hours past... and the arm pain is getting better. No real other symptoms. - tvillini April 23, 2021, 11:15:44
- 12 hours in, arm is more sore than the last time. - tvillini April 22, 2021, 19:54:11
- Got my second Moderna yesterday. Sore arm today but otherwise ok at this point - AintHatin April 22, 2021, 7:55:07
- Update - AintHatin April 22, 2021, 15:44:43
- Boy is your arm (and wrist) gonna be extra sore* - HamptonSki April 22, 2021, 7:34:31
- What a fun sexy time for you * - ATL April 22, 2021, 7:31:20
- Hereís a good example of an unnecessarily alarmist article on Covid-19 - ATL April 21, 2021, 17:56:49
- Second jab yesterday (Pfizer) and nothing today other than sore arm* - Chilango April 21, 2021, 15:42:04
- Got the jab a half hour ago. Pfizer* - JeffFrank April 21, 2021, 15:40:57
- So Iím 6 days from my positive. A little cough, and crazy tired. But nothing else. But 2 of the - LovetheChief April 21, 2021, 11:04:22
- Why is the US America doing so much better vaccinating its people? Are we the only ones who want to - Warrin'_Illini April 21, 2021, 10:37:36
- The US is still a super power in procurement* - KCWildcat April 23, 2021, 6:27:19
- Because we manufacture a ton and sell it domestically - TarheelIllini April 21, 2021, 18:03:25
- we arenít good at doing stuff that has a social cost, like wearing masks and being asked to not - biclops April 21, 2021, 11:47:30
- Operation Warp Speed* - HamptonSki April 21, 2021, 11:07:02
- i read that the Sinovac vaccine is not nearly as effective - illiniranger April 21, 2021, 11:03:50
- I was listening to NPR the other day...and both the US and the UK... - haighter April 21, 2021, 11:00:31
- B/c you live in America and are privileged beyond your imagination.* - gullit April 21, 2021, 10:49:36
- Lots of factors. First, we're a rich country that can afford to subsidize a lot of the cost (Thanks. - ATL April 21, 2021, 10:45:21
- [EDITED] - bbonb April 21, 2021, 10:20:12
- Trump's favorite paper trading in anti-vaxxer conspiracy theories - ATL April 21, 2021, 10:14:41
- Oh the places you'll go (once vaccinated) - ATL April 20, 2021, 14:25:49
- Got my two sons scheduled for Moderna next week - timmer April 20, 2021, 11:51:26
- 2 weeks out of my J&J vax. Basically indestructable now.* - Warrin'_Illini April 20, 2021, 11:51:18
- so where do you get the vaccine in Illinois? just through the health department sites? - Tooldresser April 20, 2021, 11:50:01
- I'm hitting the state fairgrounds on Thursday for mine* - ilinni11 April 20, 2021, 14:42:36
- I got mine through the Walgreens app. If you already have an account and the app, it's super easy* - Jackie April 20, 2021, 12:00:13
- Public health, Walgreens, jewel, Meijer, Walmart, other health centers/pharmacies* - Taz April 20, 2021, 11:51:15
- Vaccine resistant Republicans not worried about J&J pause. Want fake vax cards. - ATL April 20, 2021, 11:26:26
- Poker back at the horse shoe so scheduled first shot for Wed* - JeffFrank April 19, 2021, 16:27:58
- things rapidly heading back to normal in LA; it's almost like god gave us COVID to get rid of trump - suburbanmyth April 19, 2021, 13:03:13
- As I suspected, young Pubs will be the holdouts - illini April 19, 2021, 12:04:41
- So weird - CubsWonWorldSeries April 19, 2021, 12:38:42
- So mostly people that probably donít need the vaccine anyway* - GMAW April 19, 2021, 12:26:55
- we all need as many people as possible to get the vaccine* - reggiedunlop April 19, 2021, 13:07:10
- Why?* - GMAW April 19, 2021, 13:08:20
- Herd immunity - we still don't want this to spread and create new variants - CoronaTheirAss April 19, 2021, 13:23:48
- Higher percentage of vaccinated means a less of a likelihood of variants, right? - Chicago1995 April 19, 2021, 13:10:37
- They will form anyway in India, Brazil etc. - nash April 19, 2021, 14:05:05
- worldwide daily cases just hit an all time high* - gvibes April 19, 2021, 14:16:06
- I'm really worried about India. My dad's already lost a college buddy there. - ATL April 19, 2021, 14:11:46
- yeah - good point* - CoronaTheirAss April 19, 2021, 14:11:14
- Brazil sure is doing poorly...also seems to be a lot worse in young people there* - assassin April 19, 2021, 14:10:32
- Yes they will, but yes we should.* - Chicago1995 April 19, 2021, 14:07:00
- Yes* - Carl Spackler April 19, 2021, 13:35:56
- Plus Fauci is basically on record saying nothing changes for restrictions regardless of vaccine - meanjeans April 19, 2021, 12:33:17
- "Republican seniors: 22%" also not great* - gvibes April 19, 2021, 12:29:07
- Good. Fewer young republicans to be around. Also, they canít travel abroad* - timmer April 19, 2021, 12:07:07
- Dear everyone on social media, - Sounder April 19, 2021, 11:55:18
- still new for many ... still exciting... - memyselfandillini April 19, 2021, 14:35:24
- I'm not sure the vaccine works unless you post a masked-up picture holding the card on social media* - IlliniOllie April 19, 2021, 12:14:59
- I had my 2nd Moderna on Friday. Aside from a sore arm, symptom free.* - DiamondDazzle April 19, 2021, 12:03:20
- there's a quick and easy way to avoid this - IlliniSax05 April 19, 2021, 11:57:31
- IMO, you can never truly avoid social media - Sounder April 19, 2021, 11:58:51
- first step...get off twitter. second step...get off facebook - IlliniSax05 April 19, 2021, 12:01:20
- Facebook is about 100x worse that twitter.* - ATL April 19, 2021, 12:44:20
- Same. Avoidance is best path. * - harb April 19, 2021, 12:37:22
- What do you do with your time? I'm bored out of my skull even with spending hours on social media* - Taz April 19, 2021, 12:13:24
- I have never really used twitter until this year - Sounder April 19, 2021, 12:09:27
- I'm reverse that. Get off Facebook and check Twitter a few times per week* - ilinni11 April 19, 2021, 12:04:10
- I have a solution to your problem.* - Sammich April 19, 2021, 11:57:07
- You got yours, right?* - ATL April 19, 2021, 11:56:14
- I like the conclusion of this post commenting on a NY Times article about irrational covid fears - ATL April 19, 2021, 11:52:30
- Aussies and Kiwis can now travel to each others' countries for the first time in a year - ATL April 19, 2021, 8:13:27
- Iceland's opening up to the vaccinated. UAL starting an ord-kef route - ATL April 19, 2021, 7:11:13
- Great news. Glad to see more and more people protected* - OWWDig April 18, 2021, 9:47:39
« Back to index | View thread »