I think the more interesting discussion is about the goals that determine the success criteria.. Archived Message
Posted by lp on January 29, 2020, 12:10:14, in reply to "The best system would be designed for 95% of the users, which are able bodied."
If the goals + metrics are |
1. Increasing ridership and revenue measured by departmental budget.
2. Decreasing traffic measured by ?
Then perhaps reducing CTA stops is a path towards that, but I'd first question whether those goals weren't best handled by another budget. The CTA is hardly the place to hit for traffic reduction given they reduce traffic inherently. Taking more buses off the road only puts more Ubers on it.
What if the goals were something like:
1. Means for all citizens to affordably access the city
2. I don't know... Neighborhood restoration.
Both these goals challenge the CTA to think outside the balance sheet towards a more beneficial outcome for the average person. With the CTA budget and some more practical goals I think some really innovative stuff could turn out. Or I guess we could farm it out to the Bay area geniuses airdropping shitty ####ing scooters all over the place.
Message Thread: | This response ↓
- Sidejack: What would you do to improve the CTA (or any US public transit) - reggiedunlop January 29, 2020, 11:39:55
- Found this while looking for info on the circle line, Chicago Reader longread on how to fix the CTA - reggiedunlop February 4, 2020, 10:02:57
- Also, hey Chicago Joe! - Kimmerz January 30, 2020, 8:52:21
- Related: $760 billon green plan: - longsnapper January 30, 2020, 8:06:01
- Elon Musk high speed tunnel...whatever happened with this?* - Roomba January 29, 2020, 14:59:37
- Enforce basic civility rules - ECEIllinois January 29, 2020, 14:26:32
- A quick fix would eliminating people who exit out of the front. - longsnapper January 29, 2020, 13:41:26
- STL's public transport is a joke, but the traffic is also a joke, so there's no incentive to use it* - VIV January 29, 2020, 13:20:34
- Go back ~150 years and prevent the automotive and rubber industries from buying up streetcar tracks* - Figs January 29, 2020, 13:11:40
- If you give them great coffee and great music.....* - timmer January 29, 2020, 12:46:04
- Radnom other idea, forbid parkng under EL because it's really stupid and make a bike lane there - Chilango January 29, 2020, 12:40:54
- crazy that CTA has done far better job of improvement & maintenance compared w/ NYC & DC - cpsteine January 29, 2020, 12:31:22
- I'd take the boulevard system and make it NO CARS. Light rail and bike only. - longsnapper January 29, 2020, 12:30:10
- where elevated, get rid of trains and replace with monorails - TarheelIllini January 29, 2020, 12:13:04
- here's a Bloomberg article about infrastructure costs by Noah Smith - reggiedunlop January 29, 2020, 12:08:44
- Pink line stop between Ashland and Polk stops near United Center.* - PrkrLewis January 29, 2020, 11:55:24
- Circle line. Or at least BRT to connect the lines. * - Kimmerz January 29, 2020, 11:46:27
- Mostly this. - PrkrLewis January 29, 2020, 11:44:05
- Oh, one thing I would not do is waste a billion dollars on a flyover to save people 30 seconds - reggiedunlop January 29, 2020, 11:42:57
- Here are a few of mine - IlliniJuice07 January 29, 2020, 11:41:52
- 1 is a problem for people with limited mobility, - Kimmerz January 29, 2020, 11:41:25