New Welsh Ryan is honestly pretty sweet. Archived Message
Posted by Carl Spackler on February 4, 2020, 11:26:01, in reply to "OK, IJKA's official (and way outdated) arena reviews:"
Nothing crazy from an amenity standpoint, but now that they have legit seats most places, one of those true ďnot a bad seat in the houseĒ stadiums due to its size. |
Northwestern: HAven't been since the renovation (which looks pretty good). It was a dump that at least had some charm in how basic it was. I actually thought it was a decent venue for NU and the new place looks like a well done and much needed improvement on that.
Kohl Center: Only was there for 1 period of a women's hockey game (was on campus for a visit and they had a 2pm game and it was $5 to see the arena). Seemed fine.
Carver-Hawkeye Arena: Not bad but never going to be great either... actually watching the game it's not a bad location. the layout is kinda quirky in a bland way. Much like the entire history of iowa basketball it's kinda middle of the pack with occasional bit of spark
Assembly Hall, Indiana: Kind of a weird venue. Very modern and very outside the mold of a lot of other venues, which is kinda jarring with the minimimalist hardwood floor and hoosiers vibe. I went there in the late 00's and they weren't very good. I sat in the balcony and was 8 miles from the court. It's certainly unique and iconic.
Value City ARena, Ohio State: Blah, just really boring.
Crisler Center. I went in 04 and 05 and thought it looked like the Peoria Civic Center. Completely devoid of any real charm or architectural significance. The renovations that happened since look pretty good on TV. I think they've improved it a lot
Williams Arena. It is a completely confusing maze to navigate and a complete shit show. I love it. Would definitely go back to a game there.
Mackey. It's like you took Assembly Hall but somehow crosbred it with a high school gym. It's fine? It can be a tough pit to play in. (have not been since recent renovations)
Message Thread: | This response ↓
- I thought Carver-Hawkeye arena was a decent venue. No obstructed views and it got pretty - Samricky February 4, 2020, 9:41:19
- It's a good venue. I saw the Efrem Winters/Bruce Douglas team there while putting my GF through..... - MtHoodIllini February 4, 2020, 14:51:43
- Other than Minny, any B1G arenas have "obstructed views"?? - osklister February 4, 2020, 13:08:23
- I have yet to find a list that ranks the basketball arena on aesthetics and ambiance - bbonb February 4, 2020, 13:03:08
- I am going to Duke-FSU game at Cameron Monday. Looking forward to seeing that place - Samricky February 4, 2020, 12:24:28
- Cool. Should be a great environment with two top 10 teams* - MtHoodIllini February 4, 2020, 14:52:56
- Iíve seen three games there - TarheelIllini February 4, 2020, 14:17:13
- Have fun. Should be a good game. - Chicago1995 February 4, 2020, 14:14:20
- I was there back in 1995. - Bryzzo February 4, 2020, 13:50:00
- Are you just traveling the country to different basketball venues? - Taz February 4, 2020, 12:42:44
- I've walked through it, it's basically Huff Hall - ijustkrushalot February 4, 2020, 12:30:09
- OK, IJKA's official (and way outdated) arena reviews: - ijustkrushalot February 4, 2020, 10:55:16
- i saw the Fab Five play the beloved at Crisler Arena in early 90's - NastyBoyd February 4, 2020, 10:50:37
- also a crappy place to see a game- ohio state* - VIV February 4, 2020, 10:38:27
- It's pretty utilitarian but not a bad place to watch a game. somewhat similar to pre-renovation AH - ijustkrushalot February 4, 2020, 10:32:48
- Yeah it's not bad if you discount the Iowa fans and FRan.* - Warrin'_Illini February 4, 2020, 10:22:33
- Welsh-Ryan pre-renovation felt like a high school or NAIA gym. - WhitmansFolly February 4, 2020, 10:21:34
- 2nd worst place I've seen a game. Only Allstate was worse.* - VIV February 4, 2020, 10:05:19
- I've always thought it was a nice venue. - Chicago1995 February 4, 2020, 10:01:50
- #### Iowa* - Jackie February 4, 2020, 10:01:36
- CLUB CARVER* - Walkon February 4, 2020, 9:56:23
- Biggest problem with Carver Hawkeye is that it's in Iowa and is filled with Iowa fans. - Illiniphil February 4, 2020, 9:43:04