Oh Facebook rubes, never change Archived Message
Posted by ATL on February 21, 2021, 19:57:19, in reply to "Texas Energy Market: The $200K bills were a hoax but the $20K bills are real"
WHY WE ARE VERIFYING:
A Facebook post contends that the acting Energy Department Secretary David Huizenga, who is a Biden appointee, did not act on ERCOT’s emergency request to exceed air pollution limits as Texas was walloped by record-breaking cold.
WHAT WE FOUND:
The Facebook post said that Huizenga wouldn’t issue an order to allow electricity generation plants to operate at full capacity.
“Didn’t happen,” the post says. “Did they do this on purpose to Texas? Fact check it! I dare you!”
Well, VERIFY did just that, and looked into exchanges of paperwork between ERCOT and the U.S. Energy Department.
In a Feb. 14 letter, ERCOT says that electricity producers were close to violating their limits for pollution emissions and wastewater releases for Feb. 14-19.
ERCOT also added this, saying it "understands the importance of the environmental permits that are at issue. However, in ERCOT’s judgment, the loss of power to homes and local businesses ... presents a far greater risk to public health and safety than the temporary exceedances of those permit limits.”
In an order that Huizenga signed just before 8 p.m. on Feb. 14, the Energy Department gave ERCOT permission to exceed the pollution limits for the requested period, but with language warning ERCOT to keep generation to what was absolutely necessary to curtail the emergency.
In the order, Huizenga said, “Given the emergency nature...I have determined that additional dispatch of the Specified Resources is necessary to best meet the emergency and serve the public interest.”
Message Thread: | This response ↓
- Texas Energy Market: The $200K bills were a hoax but the $20K bills are real - ATL February 20, 2021, 14:07:29
- Griddy better lawyer up - ATL February 26, 2021, 6:46:36
- WSJ: Texas's energy market is a mess - ATL February 24, 2021, 19:49:47
- LOL - looks like Ted "Take me on a Caribbean" Cruz is mad at the people who leaked his wife's - ATL February 23, 2021, 8:20:03
- Huh.... - ATL February 23, 2021, 10:39:32
- Glad nobody called his wife a dog-faced dog.* - Warrin'_Illini February 23, 2021, 10:14:03
- "Don't be an asshole" on a podcast that's name mocks the death of a justice* - CanHartlebHireSnider February 23, 2021, 9:27:38
- I'm more concerned about who leaked his united flight information - Dilbert February 23, 2021, 8:43:30
- ####ing apply that advice the other way, Ted - Sammich February 23, 2021, 8:33:17
- I mean I’d be pissed if my friends leaked my texts too - snipes824 February 23, 2021, 8:24:06
- Sounds like their "friends" don't really like them all that much* - HamptonSki February 23, 2021, 8:21:56
- Giving retail customers direct access to wholesale market ends in disaster, part 32 - londoner February 22, 2021, 1:45:05
- As winter relinquishes its icy grip, socialism takes hold in Texas - ATL February 21, 2021, 20:51:35
- Oh Facebook rubes, never change - ATL February 21, 2021, 19:57:19
- Ugh - ATL February 20, 2021, 17:22:30
- Penny wise, pound foolish* - ghost_of_clt February 20, 2021, 15:04:18
- maybe they shouldn’t have spent all their money on fancy lattes and avocado toast - biclops February 20, 2021, 14:32:11
- A small price to pay to own libs!!* - shua February 20, 2021, 14:28:30
- lol at naming the company Griddy* - ECEIllinois February 20, 2021, 14:14:17
- Expect there to be a huge amount of solar energy installers flooding Texas soon? - CubsWonWorldSeries February 20, 2021, 14:13:45