If deregulation was good for the little guy, nobody would ever lobby for it. * Archived Message
Posted by doubledown on February 24, 2021, 19:57:21, in reply to "WSJ: Texas's energy market is a mess"
Texasís deregulated electricity market, which was supposed to provide reliable power at a lower price, left millions in the dark last week. For two decades, its customers have paid more for electricity than state residents who are served by traditional utilities, a Wall Street Journal analysis has found.
Nearly 20 years ago, Texas shifted from using full-service regulated utilities to generate power and deliver it to consumers. The state deregulated power generation, creating the system that failed last week. And it required nearly 60% of consumers to buy their electricity from one of many retail power companies, rather than a local utility.
Those deregulated Texas residential consumers paid $28 billion more for their power since 2004 than they would have paid at the rates charged to the customers of the stateís traditional utilities, according to the Journalís analysis of data from the federal Energy Information Administration.
Message Thread: | This response ↓
- Texas Energy Market: The $200K bills were a hoax but the $20K bills are real - ATL February 20, 2021, 14:07:29
- Griddy better lawyer up - ATL February 26, 2021, 6:46:36
- WSJ: Texas's energy market is a mess - ATL February 24, 2021, 19:49:47
- If deregulation was good for the little guy, nobody would ever lobby for it. * - doubledown February 24, 2021, 19:57:21
- LOL - looks like Ted "Take me on a Caribbean" Cruz is mad at the people who leaked his wife's - ATL February 23, 2021, 8:20:03
- Huh.... - ATL February 23, 2021, 10:39:32
- Glad nobody called his wife a dog-faced dog.* - Warrin'_Illini February 23, 2021, 10:14:03
- "Don't be an asshole" on a podcast that's name mocks the death of a justice* - CanHartlebHireSnider February 23, 2021, 9:27:38
- I'm more concerned about who leaked his united flight information - Dilbert February 23, 2021, 8:43:30
- ####ing apply that advice the other way, Ted - Sammich February 23, 2021, 8:33:17
- I mean Iíd be pissed if my friends leaked my texts too - snipes824 February 23, 2021, 8:24:06
- Sounds like their "friends" don't really like them all that much* - HamptonSki February 23, 2021, 8:21:56
- Giving retail customers direct access to wholesale market ends in disaster, part 32 - londoner February 22, 2021, 1:45:05
- As winter relinquishes its icy grip, socialism takes hold in Texas - ATL February 21, 2021, 20:51:35
- Oh Facebook rubes, never change - ATL February 21, 2021, 19:57:19
- Ugh - ATL February 20, 2021, 17:22:30
- Penny wise, pound foolish* - ghost_of_clt February 20, 2021, 15:04:18
- maybe they shouldnít have spent all their money on fancy lattes and avocado toast - biclops February 20, 2021, 14:32:11
- A small price to pay to own libs!!* - shua February 20, 2021, 14:28:30
- lol at naming the company Griddy* - ECEIllinois February 20, 2021, 14:14:17
- Expect there to be a huge amount of solar energy installers flooding Texas soon? - CubsWonWorldSeries February 20, 2021, 14:13:45