Because that's what unions do...almost universally? * Archived Message
Posted by haighter on November 17, 2021, 12:50:53, in reply to "Unions should financially support their members' defense and advocate for better protections"
For their workers under policy. They should not vocally and unequivocally support bad actors who have clearly violated the law. For example, the cops who obviously lied on their reports to cover up the killing of Laquan Macdonald. The video showed that they lied, period. Even if you believe Van Dyke was justified, how can unions support their members committing fraud and violating the law?
Because it makes sense to me. Unions exist to protect their members.
Bad cops in my book. I know some individual cops feel like they have no choice and I get that. But the union defense of awful cops makes no sense to me.
it's that the ones who are good are prevented from showing it, because the penalties for stepping out of line are harsher than the penalties for abusing their power.
Ironically, the cop defenders talking about "a few bad apples" were right all along. They just forgot about the second half of the aphorism.
Message Thread: | This response ↓
- I was challenged on here when I said cops were the worst. But I hold fast to my position. - ATL November 17, 2021, 8:19:01
- Aurora, Col. taxpayers write $15 million check because their PD killed an unarmed black man - ATL November 18, 2021, 9:51:14
- Hate to dox, but here's a pic of ATL. - osklister November 18, 2021, 8:27:06
- Now attorneys……only benefit all of us* - jumpingdan November 18, 2021, 6:07:24
- T. Greg Doucette is a good Twitter follow for this stuff.* - Memphian November 17, 2021, 19:51:11
- They really are the worst* - HeatMizer November 17, 2021, 17:28:47
- cop shoots 2 dogs for no reason - ECEIllinois November 17, 2021, 12:47:06
- usa today investigation finds widespread retaliation against whistleblowers - assassin November 17, 2021, 11:54:53
- i did not know "licit" was a word* - suburbanmyth November 17, 2021, 11:52:25
- Chicago pd has billboards out that are designed to basically humanize police officers - Taz November 17, 2021, 8:59:37
- For the thin blue line confederates, I'll just place this here. - Chilango November 18, 2021, 6:49:19
- they're paid by Chicago Police Foundation - Poldark November 17, 2021, 11:45:30
- I don't really have a problem with that* - ATL November 17, 2021, 11:41:21
- She would not try to humanize police officers for some reason? * - haighter November 17, 2021, 11:30:33
- Couldn't you say the same thing about the IDPH Billboards that say "All In Illinois"? - HectorVillanueva19 November 17, 2021, 11:30:09
- Maybe because the Mayor, State's Attorney, etc. have trashed Chicago's Police's image? - HectorVillanueva19 November 17, 2021, 11:28:36
- I saw on fb the other day that the most racist person I’ve ever met in my life - illini21 November 17, 2021, 8:53:59
- I would dispute the assertion that ALL cops are the worst... I know a few that are not. However, I - Wotcher November 17, 2021, 8:36:03