every effing dog is a service dog now;; it's ridiculous* Archived Message
Posted by suburbanmyth on November 17, 2021, 13:02:40, in reply to "cop shoots 2 dogs for no reason"
A federal appeals court on Monday allowed a Minneapolis woman to move forward with her lawsuit against a Minneapolis police officer who shot and wounded her dogs in 2017.
Officer Michael Mays fired at the animals while responding to a false burglar alarm.
Video from Jennifer Livingston's security camera shows her 60-pound pit bull Ciroc walking toward Mays as if to greet the officer. Mays then shoots the dog in the face before shooting Livingston's other dog Rocko. Both animals survived but suffered severe injuries.
Rocko is trained as a service animal and alerts Livingston when she is about to have a seizure. Ciroc is trained to aid Livingston’s daughter, who suffers from panic attacks.
A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit agreed with U.S. District Judge John Tunheim's decision last year denying the city's request to dismiss the case.
In his ruling, Tunheim said he would not “approve a declaration of open season on dogs who merely walk towards police.”
Mike Padden, Livingston’s attorney, said neither animal put Officer Mays in danger.
"When you watch the video, it's just obvious that what he did was just inappropriate,” Padden said. “The dog is wagging its tail. The dog presented no threat to him whatsoever. And then of course the second dog ran out of the house because it heard its companion yelp, and he shot that dog too."
Padden said he hopes to reach a settlement with the city soon, but noted that the city attorney can continue an appeal to a larger panel of judges.
The city attorney's office declined to comment on its next steps. https://www.mprnews.org/story/2021/11/15/court-allows-minneapolis-dog-shooting-suit-to-proceed
Message Thread: | This response ↓
- I was challenged on here when I said cops were the worst. But I hold fast to my position. - ATL November 17, 2021, 8:19:01
- Aurora, Col. taxpayers write $15 million check because their PD killed an unarmed black man - ATL November 18, 2021, 9:51:14
- Hate to dox, but here's a pic of ATL. - osklister November 18, 2021, 8:27:06
- Now attorneys……only benefit all of us* - jumpingdan November 18, 2021, 6:07:24
- T. Greg Doucette is a good Twitter follow for this stuff.* - Memphian November 17, 2021, 19:51:11
- They really are the worst* - HeatMizer November 17, 2021, 17:28:47
- cop shoots 2 dogs for no reason - ECEIllinois November 17, 2021, 12:47:06
- every effing dog is a service dog now;; it's ridiculous* - suburbanmyth November 17, 2021, 13:02:40
- usa today investigation finds widespread retaliation against whistleblowers - assassin November 17, 2021, 11:54:53
- i did not know "licit" was a word* - suburbanmyth November 17, 2021, 11:52:25
- Chicago pd has billboards out that are designed to basically humanize police officers - Taz November 17, 2021, 8:59:37
- For the thin blue line confederates, I'll just place this here. - Chilango November 18, 2021, 6:49:19
- they're paid by Chicago Police Foundation - Poldark November 17, 2021, 11:45:30
- I don't really have a problem with that* - ATL November 17, 2021, 11:41:21
- She would not try to humanize police officers for some reason? * - haighter November 17, 2021, 11:30:33
- Couldn't you say the same thing about the IDPH Billboards that say "All In Illinois"? - HectorVillanueva19 November 17, 2021, 11:30:09
- Maybe because the Mayor, State's Attorney, etc. have trashed Chicago's Police's image? - HectorVillanueva19 November 17, 2021, 11:28:36
- I saw on fb the other day that the most racist person I’ve ever met in my life - illini21 November 17, 2021, 8:53:59
- I would dispute the assertion that ALL cops are the worst... I know a few that are not. However, I - Wotcher November 17, 2021, 8:36:03