Didn't like Sally Rooney's "Beautiful World, Where are You?" Archived Message
Posted by Potomac on January 10, 2022, 8:22:28, in reply to "Monday book thread: Finished the Wheel of Time"
Lots of praise in many critical reviews, appearing on "best" and "notable" lists for 2021. Also many neutral to negative reviews. Three out of five from me. |
Thanks to those here who encouraged me to give it another chance. The end absolutely was worth it. The final book was about as good as I could imagine it being, given the huge scope and the sheer number of characters and plot lines, and all of the omens and prophecies given that foreshadowed events. There were a few things I didnít care foróLogain didnít really live up to his previous Billings with the viewings on him, and the introduction of a huge new army to fight in the final book seemed off to me. (Read a review that hypothesized Jordan had originally planned for Damodred to be Taim, but switched that up when everyone guessed it. Which sort of makes sense, but also sort of doesnít because he made it way too obvious if he was trying to fool people. I think that was more likely an intentional red herring.)
And at the end of the day, Perrinís whole plot line and arc seemed a bit tangential and isolated from the rest. You could have eliminated his character from the whole series without too much trouble, which is not good for a supposedly central and critical character.
Regardless, it was incredibly action packed over almost the entire 1000 pages, which is quite a trick. I was getting stressed out reading it, it was tense enough.
The prior book (13) was not nearly as good as the finale or book 12, but was still pretty good. But the first half was awfully slowóthat was back to Jordanís bad old talk fest plotting. I feel like Sanderson was writing the conclusion and had enough for 2 and a half really jam packed books, and decided to plump up the middle with filler to get 3, rather than make hard cuts to get down to 2. Regardless, itís utterly baffling that Jordan thought this was going to be 1 final volume, given how incapable heíd been of cutting things down and keeping the plot moving. At least twice as much happened in the final 3 books as had happened in the prior 6.
Final series power ranking:
Message Thread: | This response ↓
- Monday book thread: Finished the Wheel of Time - DT January 10, 2022, 8:00:15
- How Lucky by Will Leitch mentions Illinois Football/Ron Turner in one chapter. - ihpsdm January 11, 2022, 11:13:51
- All the Light We Cannot See is in the works to be a Netflix limited series. - ghost_of_clt January 11, 2022, 9:40:50
- Asking (again) - TarheelIllini January 10, 2022, 13:07:05
- Currently 2/3 of the way through East of Eden* - bjl63 January 10, 2022, 8:25:14
- Didn't like Sally Rooney's "Beautiful World, Where are You?" - Potomac January 10, 2022, 8:22:28
- I'm surprised you have 6 that low. (sp) - SWK January 10, 2022, 8:19:36
- Agreed, middle is a slog but the payoff is great. Glad you enjoyed it (sp) - Cunativeson January 10, 2022, 8:17:57
- Cloud cuckoo land was amazing* - cpsteine January 10, 2022, 8:14:21
- I theory, could someone read 1-5 &12-14 and just get filled in on the middle?* - longsnapper January 10, 2022, 8:03:15