You know what’s overly definitive? Archived Message
Posted by Jackie on April 21, 2022, 19:08:07, in reply to "The statement "bite mark analysis has been thoroughly discredited" is kind of overly definitive and"
The death penalty |
smells a bit like the reporter might also have a slant is all. I suspect there are credible bite mark cases.
"The medical examiner who carried out the autopsy, Dr Norma Farley, showed a similar willingness to prejudge Lucio’s guilt. In her testimony, Farley made several critical statements that have been shown to be scientifically inaccurate.
She said that bruising on Mariah’s body must have been caused by a “homicidal” severe beating. False. A medical review of the autopsy reports criticized the medical examiner for failing to detect clear signs that the child had a blood coagulation disorder that would have produced extensive bruising throughout the body.
Farley said that Mariah’s injuries had to have been inflicted within 24 hours of her death – a significant detail as it ruled out as cause of death the fall on the staircase two days before. That was false too. A medical expert who reviewed the evidence pointed out that it is well established that physical manifestations of an injury can take several days to appear.
Farley also told the jury that at least two bite marks had been found on Mariah’s back and that they were caused by an adult’s teeth suggesting a brutal and painful attack. False. Bite mark analysis has been thoroughly discredited.
Numerous scientific studies have shown that there is no way to categorically identify a wound on a body as being a bite mark. Nor is there any way to identify from the wound who might have caused the abrasion.
Dr Janice Ophoven, the pediatric forensic pathologist who reviewed the Lucio materials, concluded: “The investigation into Mariah’s death appears to have been significantly prejudiced … and creates a risk of [a] serious miscarriage of justice in this case.”"
And your second part is laughable. How many dozens of coerced confessions do you need to see?
Message Thread: | This response ↓
- JFC this is a tough read - hope Texas gets it right..... - bulldogmba April 21, 2022, 14:12:59
- Court stays execution pending review of evidence - ATL April 25, 2022, 13:37:31
- I hope Greg Abbott dies in a car wreck* - JeffFrank April 21, 2022, 22:35:15
- "Hope they get it right" is exactly why the death penalty needs abolished* - RangerDanger April 21, 2022, 18:42:47
- I don't mind having a death penalty - jayd April 21, 2022, 16:07:33
- I don’t see a reason to have a death penalty. Someone convince me otherwise. - bbonb April 21, 2022, 19:32:24
- We are absolutely shit as a society at interpreting what is “literally zero doubt” - VIV April 21, 2022, 17:55:51
- Just confuses me that many of the folks most afraid of government overreach... - KingTalkyTiki April 21, 2022, 17:51:05
- Especially when the legal system considers it preferable to execute an innocent person than to - doubledown April 21, 2022, 16:22:07
- I just don’t get the obsession with the death penalty - snipes824 April 21, 2022, 16:17:32
- She totally killed her kid* - bigbop85 April 21, 2022, 15:19:35
- God can be such a bastard sometimes* - illini21 April 21, 2022, 17:45:10
- Yeah, I was kinda on the fence on this one... - KingTalkyTiki April 21, 2022, 15:28:49
- Who doesn't have adults bite marks falling down the stairs?* - bigbop85 April 21, 2022, 15:29:41
- You should read up on the bite mark stuff. It’s entirely nonsense. * - doubledown April 21, 2022, 16:16:29
- I thought the article said that part of the testimony had been widely discredited? * - haighter April 21, 2022, 15:30:35
- oh the article didn't mention the medical examiner? - bigbop85 April 21, 2022, 15:32:39
- Actually, thousands of people have falsely confessed to crimes under similar circumstances - Taz April 21, 2022, 17:21:31
- I don’t know enough about this case, but if you’re going to come in with a definitive opinion… - OB25 April 21, 2022, 16:26:18
- did you not read the article? - VIV April 21, 2022, 15:43:17
- Goddamn Ted Bundy got unlucky.* - gnpbfubbgre April 21, 2022, 18:35:15
- Have you read anything else on this outside of this article?* - bigbop85 April 21, 2022, 16:27:07
- there is no rake......* - suburbanmyth April 21, 2022, 16:01:23
- Ooo - KingTalkyTiki April 21, 2022, 16:27:12
- ooo - ATL April 21, 2022, 16:20:15
- I'm now 110%* - KingTalkyTiki April 21, 2022, 15:50:13
- I should hope that...if I were to find either of my children deceased... - haighter April 21, 2022, 15:43:10
- DNFTT!! - Kajagoogoo April 21, 2022, 15:31:59
- When are we going to stop allowing law enforcement to use trauma responses as - Taz April 21, 2022, 14:55:00
- lede buried - bbonb April 21, 2022, 14:47:06
- not a chance in hell* - assassin April 21, 2022, 14:16:59
- Abbott won't. he's a ####ing piece of shit. - theBard April 21, 2022, 14:16:27