on the food thing i would disagree Archived Message
Posted by illiniranger on May 9, 2022, 9:45:50, in reply to "Our built environment is obesity inducing. The difference isn't what we eat"
we eat a lot more processed foods and a lot more sugar. i think that is def a contributing factor to the obesity rate being much higher. not *the* factor but it contributes. |
to the built environment thing, maybe yes, maybe no. America has always been substantially less population dense than Europe (for example you can go back and look at automobile adoption rates from 1900-1930 and they are much higher in rural America than Europe or urban America), but the obesity rates really diverged only in the 1980s. i think there's something to the built environment argument, but it's not the only thing.
it's mutli-causal but i think the biggest contributor is food quality and portion sizes. yes, Europeans eat big meals too, but not as consistently as Americans. And they walk more, smoke more, have better healthcare. It's a lot of things.
it's what we do with the calories we take in. They do significantly more walking (to work, school, and errands) than we do.
That said, the 15-20% increase in obesity doesn't account for a 3x increase in maternal mortality.
it's not good
Message Thread: | This response ↓
- Further evidence that we have the best healthcare in the world - ATL May 9, 2022, 7:32:53
- Looking at the World Bank data for maternal mortality, Wikipedia for obesity rates, and this healthc - illiniranger May 9, 2022, 13:36:04
- Here's a study you might find interesting. Obesity, diabetes (linked to obesity) were by far the - gnpbfubbgre May 9, 2022, 12:44:58
- Seems wrong based on causes and the fact that it seems very socioeconomically biased - Quiz May 9, 2022, 10:33:52
- Great. First we killed unborn babbies, now we’re killing moms* - bbonb May 9, 2022, 10:07:35
- I'm waiting for insurance company to approve additional PT for my shoulder - IlliniSax05 May 9, 2022, 9:50:42
- honest question - why is the data only through 2015? - Dilbert May 9, 2022, 9:08:09
- USA! USA! USA! *clicks on post* - timmer May 9, 2022, 8:35:02
- I have a wild hypothesis as to a contributor. - gnpbfubbgre May 9, 2022, 8:11:43