Edit Archived Message
Posted by aimlessillini on May 18, 2022, 9:42:44, in reply to "Too much difference in "maturity" in junior high kids. Definitely a fair concern. IMO"
chaperones need to be dispersed throughout the bus, not just sitting up front for adult time.
So, I had volunteered to chaperone my 8th grade daughter's ends of school trip to Six Flags. This trip is not sponsored by the school, but is organized by parents. I find out today that the chaperones are not actually going to be on the charter bus for the 6 hours of round trip travel, but will be car pooling. Apparently, there will be no adults on the bus so as to "give the kids a little bit of freedom." There will be a couple of older siblings that are high schoolers on the bus.
I know these kids. Several of them are shits. I also know what I was thinking about as an 8th grade boy and things that happened on buses where there were adult present and the adults didn't know, much less buses without adults.
My wife and I are entirely uncomfortable with there being no chaperones on the bus. Are we being too protective, or is this a fair beef? I don't want my daughter to miss out, but 6 hours of adultless bus free for all seems like a bad idea too. Thoughts?
Message Thread: | This response ↓
- Parenting dilemma - - what age do kids no longer need a chaperone? get inside - LovetheChief May 18, 2022, 8:39:42
- Update #2: the organizing mom who wanted the bus to be parent free is sending passive aggressive - LovetheChief May 19, 2022, 21:12:08
- UPDATE: One organizing parent seems to be conceding that parent chaperones would be welcome on the - LovetheChief May 18, 2022, 17:43:56
- They're in 8th grade, not college. Chaperone is a no-brainer.* - uofi1998 May 18, 2022, 12:47:33
- Someone is definitely getting a handy on that bus* - Sounder May 18, 2022, 12:43:30
- I would be inclined towards a chaperone, but I donít think this is an OUTRAGE either* - GMAW May 18, 2022, 12:40:09
- There needs to be 2 adults on that bus* - CubsWonWorldSeries May 18, 2022, 12:04:45
- The "kids" get their "little bit of freedom" in the park...NOT on the bus - RSMBob May 18, 2022, 11:51:21
- I volunteer every year to go on the High School Band trip as a medical chaperone. - ibdoc May 18, 2022, 11:27:06
- Iím 37 and probably should still have a chaperone * - jayd May 18, 2022, 11:05:03
- This is crazy. Of course they need chaperones. I obviously know the kids in question - MR May 18, 2022, 10:39:58
- There should be at least one adult chaperone. - theBard May 18, 2022, 10:29:23
- there should be two adult chaperones on the bus - NastyBoyd May 18, 2022, 10:28:10
- ooo - illiniranger May 18, 2022, 9:59:20
- If you think they're going to be doing anything other that burying their heads in their phones... - aimlessillini May 18, 2022, 9:43:18
- I'd be really surprised if the bus company was okay without any adults on board* - Gene Parmesan May 18, 2022, 9:40:32
- Not sure what age kids stop needing bus chaperones, but I know for sure it's not 13/14 - Sammich May 18, 2022, 9:34:47
- Even in the much more permissive 80-90s, I don't recall being on any bus trips without chaperones - Taz May 18, 2022, 9:30:16
- Too protective in my opinion, especially since the chaperones are still coming to the park - snipes824 May 18, 2022, 9:19:39
- Oh goodie, a Make the Call, Bob moment... - RSMBob May 18, 2022, 9:14:27
- 3 hours each way? Theyíre gonna have to stop to pee right? - haighter May 18, 2022, 9:06:44
- I'd be more worried about riding 6 hours in a car pool with people that I didn't know well - BradUnderwoodforprez May 18, 2022, 9:03:16
- *hijack* - ISeeDeadHawkeyes May 18, 2022, 9:22:11
- Too much difference in "maturity" in junior high kids. Definitely a fair concern. IMO - HoseB May 18, 2022, 9:00:47
- Edit - aimlessillini May 18, 2022, 9:42:44
- I think 8th grade is fine but I do hope they're paying that bus driver double time - ATL May 18, 2022, 8:58:05
- reminds me of when my friend got in trouble on the bus to space camp for making out with a girl - lcubed May 18, 2022, 8:55:17
- You're being too protective. * - doubledown May 18, 2022, 8:42:58
- heh - VIV May 18, 2022, 8:41:49