Probably should recruit a couple other chaperones so your kid isn't tagged as the fun police* Archived Message
Posted by RangerDanger on May 18, 2022, 11:45:02, in reply to "Can you offer that you're not comfortable with having no chaperones..."
...on the bus and that you'll be riding the bus?
What are they gonna do...tell you no?
My kid didnít remember but my guess is that she would have remembered if they had NOT been on the bus. The boys in her class were and still are pretty wild. I think it would have been a horrible experience for her had there not been adults.
Out where and when I should meet the bus and was told that I was not needed on the bus? Ummm, what? Not sure most parents know this.
And agree with your assessment. But besides that, what happens if the chaperones donít make it to the trip? what if they are so rowdy that they distract the bus driver and cause an accident? What happens if there is a medical emergency on the bus?
Do all the parents know this, or just the chaperones? I would go crazy. Also it made me just text my daughter to ask about the same trip last year. It didnít even occur to me that the chaperones may not be on the bus, but a bunch of dads went, including a couple middle school teachers/counselors so I would be absolutely shocked if they agreed to let the kids go without a chaperone.
Also if itís Peoria Charter, their website says that passengers under 17 canít take any of their scheduled rides without an adult, so Iíd be shocked if they would let you rent a bus for kids only.
So, I had volunteered to chaperone my 8th grade daughter's ends of school trip to Six Flags. This trip is not sponsored by the school, but is organized by parents. I find out today that the chaperones are not actually going to be on the charter bus for the 6 hours of round trip travel, but will be car pooling. Apparently, there will be no adults on the bus so as to "give the kids a little bit of freedom." There will be a couple of older siblings that are high schoolers on the bus.
I know these kids. Several of them are shits. I also know what I was thinking about as an 8th grade boy and things that happened on buses where there were adult present and the adults didn't know, much less buses without adults.
My wife and I are entirely uncomfortable with there being no chaperones on the bus. Are we being too protective, or is this a fair beef? I don't want my daughter to miss out, but 6 hours of adultless bus free for all seems like a bad idea too. Thoughts?
Message Thread: | This response ↓
- Parenting dilemma - - what age do kids no longer need a chaperone? get inside - LovetheChief May 18, 2022, 8:39:42
- Update #2: the organizing mom who wanted the bus to be parent free is sending passive aggressive - LovetheChief May 19, 2022, 21:12:08
- UPDATE: One organizing parent seems to be conceding that parent chaperones would be welcome on the - LovetheChief May 18, 2022, 17:43:56
- They're in 8th grade, not college. Chaperone is a no-brainer.* - uofi1998 May 18, 2022, 12:47:33
- Someone is definitely getting a handy on that bus* - Sounder May 18, 2022, 12:43:30
- I would be inclined towards a chaperone, but I donít think this is an OUTRAGE either* - GMAW May 18, 2022, 12:40:09
- There needs to be 2 adults on that bus* - CubsWonWorldSeries May 18, 2022, 12:04:45
- The "kids" get their "little bit of freedom" in the park...NOT on the bus - RSMBob May 18, 2022, 11:51:21
- I volunteer every year to go on the High School Band trip as a medical chaperone. - ibdoc May 18, 2022, 11:27:06
- Iím 37 and probably should still have a chaperone * - jayd May 18, 2022, 11:05:03
- This is crazy. Of course they need chaperones. I obviously know the kids in question - MR May 18, 2022, 10:39:58
- To answer your question, the trip organizers never said a thing about this. I reached out to find - LovetheChief May 18, 2022, 11:11:05
- I asked one of the chaperones from last year and said all of the chaperones rode the bus. - MR May 18, 2022, 11:23:08
- Sigh. So now what do I do? So frustrated.* - LovetheChief May 18, 2022, 11:34:55
- Try to use the bus company and its rules as cover. - Chicago1995 May 18, 2022, 12:27:06
- Does JS know about this? I canít see her letting this slide and she doesnít - MR May 18, 2022, 11:42:07
- have you talked to any other parents? Are they aware of the no chaperone plan? - IlliniSax05 May 18, 2022, 11:41:53
- Can you offer that you're not comfortable with having no chaperones... - haighter May 18, 2022, 11:40:29
- Probably should recruit a couple other chaperones so your kid isn't tagged as the fun police* - RangerDanger May 18, 2022, 11:45:02
- I was wondering about last year. Iím totally uncomfortable.* - LovetheChief May 18, 2022, 11:07:56
- Regarding the age thing, probably why the high schoolers are on the bus. - EffinIllini May 18, 2022, 10:41:54
- There should be at least one adult chaperone. - theBard May 18, 2022, 10:29:23
- there should be two adult chaperones on the bus - NastyBoyd May 18, 2022, 10:28:10
- ooo - illiniranger May 18, 2022, 9:59:20
- If you think they're going to be doing anything other that burying their heads in their phones... - aimlessillini May 18, 2022, 9:43:18
- I'd be really surprised if the bus company was okay without any adults on board* - Gene Parmesan May 18, 2022, 9:40:32
- Not sure what age kids stop needing bus chaperones, but I know for sure it's not 13/14 - Sammich May 18, 2022, 9:34:47
- Even in the much more permissive 80-90s, I don't recall being on any bus trips without chaperones - Taz May 18, 2022, 9:30:16
- Too protective in my opinion, especially since the chaperones are still coming to the park - snipes824 May 18, 2022, 9:19:39
- Oh goodie, a Make the Call, Bob moment... - RSMBob May 18, 2022, 9:14:27
- 3 hours each way? Theyíre gonna have to stop to pee right? - haighter May 18, 2022, 9:06:44
- I'd be more worried about riding 6 hours in a car pool with people that I didn't know well - BradUnderwoodforprez May 18, 2022, 9:03:16
- *hijack* - ISeeDeadHawkeyes May 18, 2022, 9:22:11
- Too much difference in "maturity" in junior high kids. Definitely a fair concern. IMO - HoseB May 18, 2022, 9:00:47
- Edit - aimlessillini May 18, 2022, 9:42:44
- I think 8th grade is fine but I do hope they're paying that bus driver double time - ATL May 18, 2022, 8:58:05
- reminds me of when my friend got in trouble on the bus to space camp for making out with a girl - lcubed May 18, 2022, 8:55:17
- You're being too protective. * - doubledown May 18, 2022, 8:42:58
- heh - VIV May 18, 2022, 8:41:49