They got ample tax breaks* Archived Message
Posted by Chilango on May 19, 2022, 5:57:37, in reply to "I guess I'll push back on this idea that ownership doesn't care about winning"
They bought the Cubs, then hired Theo Epstein from the Red Sox, restored Wrigley Field without milk local tax payers like the Bears/White sox/Bulls/Blackhawks did, turned a parking lot into a hotel, and won the World Series while also going to three NLCSs. From 2015 to 2020 they maintained a top 6 payroll, many times top 3. They spend.
Have we been as good as the Dodgers? No, but we also have the same number of World Series titles, with theirs coming in a 60 game season. Winning a title is really hard.
I know people were attached to Javy, Rizzo, Bryant, etc but how are those guys doing? They are the same guys they were 2017 to 2021 that lead to Cubs teams who sneaked into the playoffs and lost right away, only in 2022 and beyond they would be more expensive.
They want to win but spending $40 million more in 2022 wouldn't make this team a title contending team but spending $40 million more in 2023 and 2024? Yeah maybe and you will see payrolls align with that window.
Message Thread: | This response ↓
- So Cubs attendence, oooof. - Chilango May 18, 2022, 14:30:30
- Dan Vogelbach should never be on the SI swimsuit cover* - Herman Blume May 18, 2022, 21:13:07
- this YouTube broadcast is bullshit * - biclops May 18, 2022, 19:34:22
- Every day I wake up thanking the good lord that these goobers were too disorganised to buy Chelsea* - londoner May 18, 2022, 18:48:47
- I should go tonight, but I already sat through one 50 degree game* - Dilbert May 18, 2022, 18:31:03
- After reading & seeing who obviously works for the Cub, things here make a lot more sense now.* - Passiveaggressiveman May 18, 2022, 17:44:58
- Might go up if they trade for Soto.* - Tortillini May 18, 2022, 16:04:07
- Tickets are so damn expensive - CubsWonWorldSeries May 18, 2022, 15:23:33
- Every person I know that was on the waitlist was called this year. - Carl Spackler May 18, 2022, 19:44:45
- June, July, and August? Yes - bigbop85 May 18, 2022, 15:47:37
- I'm going to be in Chicago in June. I looked at Bleacher seats. - complainant May 18, 2022, 15:41:18
- most expensive avg. ticket price in MLB, if I recall correctly - IlliniSax05 May 18, 2022, 15:25:29
- The same, still a waitlist, only team in MLB with one* - bigbop85 May 18, 2022, 15:25:10
- I find this a little hard to believe, I feel like everyone got contacted this past off-season - OB25 May 18, 2022, 15:57:53
- Are names removed from the waiting list when they turn them down? - Cunativeson May 18, 2022, 15:32:16
- no big waitlist, they called my name up this year and i passed* - torinese May 18, 2022, 15:29:01
- 0o0o0 - Chilango May 18, 2022, 15:27:48
- I mean the weather has been utter shit so far* - Mrap24 May 18, 2022, 15:17:53
- not enough Protestants in attendance* - Poldark May 18, 2022, 14:40:40
- May 18th the average attendance is 31,555, good for 8th best in baseball - bigbop85 May 18, 2022, 14:39:46
- Plenty of home plate seats open against the Pirates. - osklister May 18, 2022, 14:34:28
- Terrible organization* - longsnapper May 18, 2022, 14:30:59