I completely agree that the math doesn't work but it doesn't make it any less difficult for families Archived Message
Posted by CWR10 on May 19, 2022, 10:09:20, in reply to "The weekly price we were quoted for infant care now seems obscenely low"
It's a major societal problem. |
Let's say half that goes to the person firsthand caring for our kid and the rest to support staff, admin, overhead, profit. Take that first number--or really whatever the actual percentage of our weekly cost goes to the primary caretaker--and multiply that by the four babies per pod and that's way too low for what we'd want the person taking care of our kid to be making.
And we have no clue how they'd even do it. Our feeding routine takes about an hour from start to finish--bottle prep, change, feed half, hold upright to digest, feed other half, hold upright to digest. And we're doing that every 3-3.5 hours still. So four babies per caregiver, as per law, and let's say their expertise can streamline her down to 45 minutes to feed. They're either rushing everyone's feeding or they'd have no time to play or comfort our daughter outside her allotted window. (Or most babies are a lot easier than ours)
- Our kidís daycare just reduced summer hours to 8am-4pm, citing labor shortages. - CWR10 May 18, 2022, 23:03:37
- That sucks. I'm so glad not to have to worry about child care or formula right now. * - doubledown May 19, 2022, 10:21:58
- Ours just permanently reduced hours. Not as bad as yours but ours was originally open from 630- - GhostofPokeyStixPast May 19, 2022, 8:21:42
- Completely stoked to have both kids in elementary school on the same schedule this fallÖ - haighter May 19, 2022, 8:21:24
- We are paying out the ass to get employees. Itís a real problem. * - uofi1998 May 19, 2022, 7:13:46
- 8 am seems crazier to me than the 4 pm. that is really late to start* - lcubed May 19, 2022, 6:42:24
- Especially if neither are WFH anymore * - CubsWonWorldSeries May 19, 2022, 6:39:00
- Morning, in Bidenís America* - bigbop85 May 19, 2022, 6:35:08
- Just make the wife work at the kid's daycare center. Boom. Solved. - timmer May 19, 2022, 6:27:45
- Just have to hope one of the two has flexibility with work. - Illini Guy May 19, 2022, 6:14:52