Does being a "Netherlands style" city include not having "Chicago style" public schools? Archived Message
Posted by IlliniOllie on June 2, 2022, 13:11:50, in reply to "I haven't watched yet...but would think that "Netherlands Style Cities" would likely be more..."
Our suburban neighborhood has a lot of families that used to live in the city of Chicago and seemed to like it there a lot... riiiiight up until their oldest kid was 3 or 4 years old, then *poof*, off to the suburbs they go. |
Same with our friend group - lots and lots of them lived in the city after college, and of the ones with kids, there's exactly 2 left (one who sends their kid to private school, one whose kids aren't old enough yet and will most likely leave when they are).
Transit, walkability, all that is fine, but schools are always going to be a huge driver of people to the suburbs.
...appealing to families with children that want to stay city resident.
Space, yards, better schools. I mean I get it, itís not for us and our family but thatís because we put up with the downsides and I can understand others not wanting to.
Like no shit this dude with no kids prefers Netherlands style cities.
Message Thread: | This response ↓
- Posted without comment: - longsnapper June 2, 2022, 11:00:02
- Yeah #### big cities. They suck. Sorry * - PapaDels June 3, 2022, 23:41:12
- ooo. - longsnapper June 4, 2022, 6:55:49
- this tax information is interesting* - reggiedunlop June 3, 2022, 16:42:16
- Center for Neighborhood Technology's H+T Index - oskeewowza June 2, 2022, 14:24:31
- man I wish I didn't actually have to work today because this is all basically my world. * - ijustkrushalot June 2, 2022, 13:43:16
- Can't wait* - reggiedunlop June 2, 2022, 13:35:48
- I've watched the first two episodes you linked. - illini June 2, 2022, 13:19:04
- OK, I'm trying to work through this - Sounder June 2, 2022, 12:14:00
- Absolutely not.* - complainant June 2, 2022, 14:08:06
- I'm somewhere in the middle in terms of personal preference - GrandmotherPearlsJam June 2, 2022, 13:00:18
- Of course. But it's because suburbs & most cities have been designed around cars - longsnapper June 2, 2022, 12:44:51
- Also, this asshole lives in Brainerd* - Sounder June 2, 2022, 12:18:27
- It's like how some people like wearing shoes when they run. * - doubledown June 2, 2022, 12:18:17
- Do you have an opinion on Edge Cities?* - Sounder June 2, 2022, 12:03:40
- Haters gonna hate* - HamptonSki June 2, 2022, 11:26:36
- These will either be very interesting or completely insufferable - Sounder June 2, 2022, 11:24:38
- Can't guys like this just pick a place to live that they enjoy and shut the #### up about it? - doubledown June 2, 2022, 11:17:14
- yeah, people should just throw their hands up and not try to improve anything* - longsnapper June 2, 2022, 12:49:14
- welcome to the deuce, Holly* - Gene Parmesan June 2, 2022, 12:15:38
- So you didn't watch?* - longsnapper June 2, 2022, 11:41:16
- Or maybe admit the suburbs are really appealing to parents? - bigbop85 June 2, 2022, 11:29:38
- Like what you like and live your life - Sounder June 2, 2022, 11:26:04
- ja. I'm guilty of judging people on where they live. It's dumb; I have tried to curb doing it* - cpsteine June 2, 2022, 11:19:36
- ooo - IlliniSax05 June 2, 2022, 11:18:27
- I'm gonna need to watch these later. Thanks for sharing* - KingTalkyTiki June 2, 2022, 11:03:19