Saw some fairly terrifying demographic data on Africa last week Archived Message
Posted by DT on June 6, 2022, 7:41:17, in reply to "This shit always depresses me. Terrible and scary for the future *"
Across most of sub Saharan Africa population growth is still through the roof, as the number of children per couple hasnít dropped much despite improved standards of living and lower child mortality. |
If they are able to modernize and develop to absorb the burgeoning population, itís likely to add a big amount to global emissions.
And to the extent they canít, there will be huge excess populations of unemployed young people in areas already facing threats of water shortages and resource constraints, in areas that are likely to be hardest hit by global warming, where corruption, poor governance, and conflict already can lead to famine.
Things could get catastrophic if climate change ends up leading to droughts or other significant disruptions to agriculture there.
Message Thread: | This response ↓
- New record: NOAA records CO2 levels at 421 ppm. Highest ever. - longsnapper June 6, 2022, 5:54:10
- i will reiterate what a JPL rocket scientist who studies climate change for a living said to me.... - suburbanmyth June 6, 2022, 12:28:47
- China and India are increasing their coal output by 700 million tons this year, - Tooldresser June 6, 2022, 12:12:59
- Well happy Monday to us * - MC June 6, 2022, 11:02:19
- But but but we got carbon scrubbers deployed. - timmer June 6, 2022, 9:00:17
- Perhaps driving a 5000 lb car isn't helping - bigbop85 June 6, 2022, 8:28:00
- that was not a good article* - ECEIllinois June 6, 2022, 13:34:15
- Do as I say, not as I do* - HamptonSki June 6, 2022, 8:34:22
- Maybe they should think about switching to tires instead. * - doubledown June 6, 2022, 8:33:39
- A-mine weighs 6,000 lbs. B-drive it less than 30 miles per week. C-you are getting dangerously close - longsnapper June 6, 2022, 8:33:26
- Particulates aren't related to climate change.* - ATL June 6, 2022, 8:30:16
- well, humans are just a blip on the earth's timeline and it will hopefully heal it's self... - shua June 6, 2022, 8:20:05
- Don't worry, Leo DiCaprio will host another climate change conference and save the day. - HamptonSki June 6, 2022, 8:11:19
- Iím doing my part. Iíve started taking only 10 breaths per minute instead of 12, - doubledown June 6, 2022, 7:41:02
- This shit always depresses me. Terrible and scary for the future * - Cunativeson June 6, 2022, 7:06:12
- Saw some fairly terrifying demographic data on Africa last week - DT June 6, 2022, 7:41:17