It's like trying to lose weight and going to the gym and trying hard but not changing your diet. Archived Message
Posted by longsnapper on June 7, 2022, 12:17:20, in reply to "half measures that have cost billiions and are billions over budget"
It's better than it was, and it's a good idea, but without both, it's not going to matter much. |
they're trying, they really are, but to my too little too late argument, it's just way too expensive and way too difficult to execute.
and frankly, it's always overbudget and hardly moves the needle in how people live the lives.
in order to achieve what they did. It could take us 80, or 120, but we could do it.
We have 70 years of post WWII development to undo. How are you going to put that genie back in the bottle? Most places barely have any public transit at all. How do you account for that?
you can force people out of their cars by making it really difficult to park and drive, but it's not going to make their lives better, and they will resent you for it.
walkable, bikable, public transitable solutions.
Exceptions would be any restaurant within a quarter mile of an on/off ramp.
No reason for the McDonald's at Damen & Chicago or Logan & Milwaukee to have a drive thru.
Related, it should be illegal for drive thru lines to spill out onto public roads.
Message Thread: | This response ↓
- Snapper's Urban design idea of the day: no drive thrus in urban areas. - longsnapper June 7, 2022, 7:04:43
- Snapper on a first date - Sounder June 7, 2022, 13:36:19
- ####ing hate how car centric the US is* - ECEIllinois June 7, 2022, 12:35:11
- Chapel Hill doesn't allow drive throughs* - opey8 June 7, 2022, 9:43:21
- No reason? Isn't difficulty of parking a pretty good reason?* - Sounder June 7, 2022, 9:36:53
- My moonshot design idea: Make underneath the EL a covered bikeway everywhere* - Chilango June 7, 2022, 9:31:09
- that would concentrate public transit along the same lines. Would rather have boulevards turn to - longsnapper June 7, 2022, 9:42:55
- ooo - bigbop85 June 7, 2022, 9:39:54
- my moonshot idea- shutter the EL. - VIV June 7, 2022, 9:36:38
- Yeah, that's a MARS shot. - Chilango June 7, 2022, 12:14:30
- the El is good. Just need light rail or real dedicated bus lanes to connect as a circle line.* - longsnapper June 7, 2022, 9:41:57
- Just have buses stop less often and always stop after a light/stop sign - bigbop85 June 7, 2022, 9:44:17
- 100% agree with the less stops and location.* - longsnapper June 7, 2022, 9:47:38
- ooo - VIV June 7, 2022, 9:49:34
- ooo - longsnapper June 7, 2022, 9:52:26
- This was my number one fixable chicago transit issue five years ago - reggiedunlop June 7, 2022, 9:47:21
- Now, it would be 1) increasing the number of e-bikes and lowering the price with 2) increasing - reggiedunlop June 7, 2022, 9:53:49
- there should be stops at every "200." 800N, 1000N, 1200N, etc.* - longsnapper June 7, 2022, 9:51:37
- We actually discussed it quite heavily here with Kimmerz (come back) and TIT (come back)* - reggiedunlop June 7, 2022, 9:49:03
- Plain English pod on this recently talked about how our environmental laws make this impossible - bigbop85 June 7, 2022, 9:41:05
- I agree about the spill out on to roads. - Chicago1995 June 7, 2022, 8:59:03
- We classify areas of town as "Urban" "Traditional" and "Suburban" - ijustkrushalot June 7, 2022, 8:42:52
- Welcome to San Francisco. * - haighter June 7, 2022, 7:41:37
- There is a drive thru Starbucks near me that backs up into traffic on a daily basis* - CWR10 June 7, 2022, 7:40:24
- Spoken like a dude with no kids* - Carl Spackler June 7, 2022, 7:31:26
- In & Out should have to be in the middle of nowhere. They're a cancer. * - doubledown June 7, 2022, 7:27:47