We completely shuttered our downtown… Archived Message
Posted by haighter on June 13, 2022, 8:27:57, in reply to "Your use of the words "clear" and "clearing" are making it harder for me to agree with you."
Financial District, SOMA for tech, retail and tourism around Union sq…etc for more than a year. When I stopped by my office in the summer of 2020, downtown looked like 28 Days Later. I saw 2 other people on my corner next to the Trans America building on a Monday. |
Even now, you’ll see maybe two dozen people walking on a block during morning commute hours when there were hundreds pre-pandemic.
We have near 18 million sqft of vacant office space. Tons of commercial corridors have vacant and boarded up storefronts. I think the most recent study I read placed full recovery optimistically at 2029.
We “cleared” downtown and killed it in the process. The cure was worse than the symptoms.
I assume you're employing a euphemism for effect. What does it mean that SF cleared the city for COVID?
Message Thread: | This response ↓
- Crime is up - ATL June 12, 2022, 15:01:29
- Here you go ATL, from Derek Thompson on the "well actually crime is down" crowd - bigbop85 June 13, 2022, 14:21:32
- Wait until you read about those rural war zones - Chilango June 12, 2022, 19:15:59
- can't wait to see how the Insurrection affects the 2021 numbers* - Orangeillini June 12, 2022, 17:44:48
- But the arrow points down* - timmer June 12, 2022, 16:50:33
- Crime is down from the height of the crack epidemic and the end of 30 years… - haighter June 12, 2022, 16:38:23
- Lol* - bigbop85 June 12, 2022, 15:03:48