This is great, thanks a ton. How about area to stay?* Archived Message
Posted by Carl Spackler on September 15, 2022, 14:17:20, in reply to "For both of you guys, the best theme park option is Legoland. It's geared around younger kids."
I'd say Sea World is your 2nd best bet - they do have some kiddie rides (not as many though) and they do have a killer play area for younger kids which my kids used to kill many hours and save stress on my awful knees.
Belmont Park is fun, but probably a little too old for the youngest kids. I'd say 8+ is probably a better age there.
We've done pretty much every attraction in town... the SD Zoo is great. There are all kinds of great museums and exhibits at Balboa Park. We've done the safari zoo further inland, and that was pretty cool.
We like to go shop at Seaport Village... it's a fun little place to hang out. Near Seaport, you can tour the aircraft carrier, which is neat. The Fish Market is a traditional tourist spot for seafood and it's solid. There's a speedboat tour you can do out in the harbor, but I wouldn't recommend that for super young kids - we did it when our boys were (almost) 7 and 9.
Assuming you like to get good food, my favorite restaurant in all of the SD area is the Brigantine (the one in Del Mar near the race track). The crab cakes are as good as you'll ever have, and everything on the menu is simply terrific. They have a couple of locations around town, but we usually stay in Del Mar, so that's our traditional spot to go.
For something fun and different to check out, go out to the old lighthouse at Point Loma. The view from out on the peninsula is about as cool as you'll ever see. Speaking of Point Loma, in town, go to Point Loma Seafood - it's the freshest catch you'll ever have... you can eat there, or take with (it's a restaurant and market). Depending on where in town you are, there's a little place up in Carlsbad called Pelly's that is a take out restaurant/market, and it kicks ass. If you go to Legoland anyway, check it out - it's only a few miles away.
I'll go back through some old pics and pick up more ideas, but between those places and some beach time, you'll spend a week pretty easily.
Message Thread: | This response ↓
- Travel Thursday: I want to hear about people’s upcoming trips/trips they’re considering. - Carl Spackler September 15, 2022, 7:42:34
- Just got back on Sunday from 8 days in Paris, nothing else planned for rest of year * - Jersey September 15, 2022, 14:59:31
- Spackler just going to rob all your houses when you’re gone smh.* - Toonces September 15, 2022, 14:05:07
- We are doing San Diego in February for 5 days. Seems like a decent option with kids.* - Carl Spackler September 15, 2022, 13:30:19
- Riviera Maya in October * - meanjeans September 15, 2022, 13:29:12
- Vegas in Oct. We're making a day trip out to Mesquite to play Wolf Creek* - CWR10 September 15, 2022, 13:19:17
- St. Louis this weekend! Fort Wayne in 2 weeks, Des Moines in November.* - DiamondDazzle September 15, 2022, 12:43:52
- Thailand next year. F-I-L passed in August. Going to see where he grew up - Nobster September 15, 2022, 12:41:55
- Charleston with wife early November including rounds at Kiawah osprey and ocean, Vegas for tourney - Phytynlini September 15, 2022, 12:41:49
- Saturday: Octoberfest, Malta, Iceland. October: Austria, ?. Spring: Ireland, ?. Summer: Italy, - reggiedunlop September 15, 2022, 11:55:17
- October: Venice, Florence, Bologna…welcome all good recs please…TIA - Dikta September 15, 2022, 11:48:53
- Just got back from golf trip to Kiawah Island, SC. Was crazy hot and humid but no rain - GCIllini99 September 15, 2022, 11:19:35
- Tampa-ish for family vacay in Oct, Jacksonville for adult-only concert weekend.* - eta September 15, 2022, 11:11:14
- Vegas for the IU Arizona game. Lame I know - CubsWonWorldSeries September 15, 2022, 11:09:04
- Wrexham. Maybe* - timmer September 15, 2022, 11:00:17
- Looking to plan something in the Caribbean for spring break - Gene Parmesan September 15, 2022, 10:53:35
- St. Louis this weekend...jealous?!? Spain next spring..thinking Valencia, Barca, Majorca - KingTalkyTiki September 15, 2022, 9:55:37
- Currently in Vegas, planning on a trip to St Thomas if schedule allows, I’m going back to Bolivia in - harb September 15, 2022, 9:32:08
- To close out the year I am going to be in: - ArtVandelay September 15, 2022, 9:21:40
- Had to cancel Myrtle Beach in October due to wife having shoulder surgery, but... - Illiniphil September 15, 2022, 9:21:25
- Going to Grand Teton/Yellowstone later this month...then various Utah - ThanksForLooking September 15, 2022, 9:18:29
- Looking at going to LA For 5 days over spring break.* - Mrap24 September 15, 2022, 9:11:37
- Nothing scheduled or planned. Was just thinking about ideas for next summer. - EffinIllini September 15, 2022, 9:09:36
- Mrs. Tort has always wanted to do a safari for her 50th - Tortillini September 15, 2022, 9:00:48
- 5 days in Norfolk and Virginia Beach, VA starting 2 weeks from today - RSMBob September 15, 2022, 8:46:46
- Chicago this weekend for the funeral of my bf’s mother* - TarheelIllini September 15, 2022, 8:46:14
- Madrid and Sevilla in October, you can travel with kids you know* - bigbop85 September 15, 2022, 8:46:14
- Australia in November. BOWL GAME in December or January - Poldark September 15, 2022, 8:42:01
- Heading to the Dominican Republic with the wife in two weeks. Child free for a week!* - Cunativeson September 15, 2022, 8:40:47
- UI last weekend. Seattle this week for work. - WhitmansFolly September 15, 2022, 8:34:55
- Family truckster trip to Huntington Beach & Disney in early October during Fall Break. - uofi1998 September 15, 2022, 8:30:45
- Just got back from a long weekend in the Outer Banks for my niece’s wedding - DT September 15, 2022, 8:29:37
- War on Drugs Mon at Red Rocks. Vegas and NYC for Illini hoops* - JeffFrank September 15, 2022, 8:25:51
- Just looked at my calendar 17 trips through year end - ouch - jfinsocal September 15, 2022, 8:24:25
- Skiing over New Years; Costa Rica next summer. - Chicago1995 September 15, 2022, 8:22:38
- Indy for a soccer tourney next month; hoping for LV for hoops; trying to find a reasonably - OWWDig September 15, 2022, 8:19:52
- Have weddings on back-to-back weekends back east in a couple weeks so staying out there - snipes824 September 15, 2022, 8:18:23
- Lots of trips to see doctors* - Stu September 15, 2022, 8:17:29
- Turning a business trip into four days in D.C., in November. - illini September 15, 2022, 8:11:26
- Sarasota FL area to see son next March.* - SurfTheBoneyard September 15, 2022, 8:10:32
- We're finally done traveling for the year after going to Colorado last weekend - jayd September 15, 2022, 8:08:07
- Just booked Provence for early May next year - GrandmotherPearlsJam September 15, 2022, 8:07:00
- Cruise on spring break. Wisconsin lake house long weekend in October* - ISeeDeadHawkeyes September 15, 2022, 8:02:58
- Its a year out but we're planning on doing the bourbon trail for our 10 year next fall. - 1 NEW September 15, 2022, 8:01:58
- Going to Seattle next weekend. Then probably nothing else until next year. * - doubledown September 15, 2022, 8:00:51
- Besides a week in LA/LV in November, I have a 1 week "staycation" in October while - Philo September 15, 2022, 8:00:24
- 14 days in Australia in late Oct / early Nov - Dilbert September 15, 2022, 7:59:05
- Las Vegas for the Basketball Tournament and probably a Balkans trip* - Tooldresser September 15, 2022, 7:56:30
- Some work stuff, maybe Athens, GA, then bigger trip to Mexico next year* - Chilango September 15, 2022, 7:50:55
- Going to Madison for the Illini game. Maybe Vegas for the basketball tournament* - bjl63 September 15, 2022, 7:49:36
- Going to San Antonio end of this month, DC/MD for Thanksgiving, Spain next April/May* - shua September 15, 2022, 7:47:24
- I got no plans due to the job change. Related - when can I take my first vacation after a job change - ATL September 15, 2022, 7:46:34
- Friend planned a big Oktoberfest trip this year that i wish i could make work - CoronaTheirAss September 15, 2022, 7:46:17