What was the camera scam? * Archived Message
Posted by doubledown on September 15, 2022, 14:35:59, in reply to "There is a fine line between being trusting and gullible...."
Just a few of the many times that Iíve fallen for (or nearly fallen for) scams over the years:
1. Newly married, living hundreds of miles from home and too poor to buy a camera. Answered an ad where I could get a FREE camera and unlimited 35mm film. All I had to do was agree to have the film developed through a certain company. And I had to promise the guy that weíd leave the camera out/accessible at all times (like he would know). I regret doing it, but I didnít get taken for too much money. I just quit taking pictures.
2. Newly married. Bought whole life insurance because Iíd have a million dollars by the time I reached age 50. Yeah, that didnít quite pan out. Eventually cashed out for $10K.
3. At an all-inclusive resort. Took advantage of a generous offer to go tour another resort. Spent the entire afternoon saying ďno, I donít want to buy a time-share. Can you please drive us back to our resort now?"
4. Agreed to go out for drinks with a former co-worker who wanted to talk to me about a business opportunity that would be perfect for me. Turns out it was Amway. Had two drinks and left unscathed.
5. Agreed to purchase a bunch of great baseball cards on Craigslist. Could I go buy a GreenDot money card and read him the numbers over the phone so he could get the money quicker? Sure, no problem. No problem for him I guess. Turned into a problem for me.
6. Newly married, agreed to accompany my in-laws to a banquet center for a free steak dinner. All I had to do was listen to a presentation about fire safety. It took weeks, but I finally convinced them that I didnít need to buy an elaborate fire detection system. My in-laws, on the other hand, spent a fortune.
These are just the ones off the top of my head. And embarrassingly, some of them were not that long ago, so it doesn't look like I've grown out of my gullibility.
- There is a fine line between being trusting and gullible.... - Philo September 15, 2022, 14:22:12
- My dad never met a get rich quick scheme he didn't jump on. - CWR10 September 16, 2022, 10:36:18
- I'm the opposite. If someone else is seeking me out to talk, I don't trust a word - jayd September 16, 2022, 9:47:28
- Hereís the opposite. 20 years ago a guy, previously a drug rep that called on my office, - ibdoc September 15, 2022, 17:53:46
- Co, buddy* - Jackie September 15, 2022, 14:44:26
- You ain't the problem. The world needs more Philos.* - KingTalkyTiki September 15, 2022, 14:37:44
- What was the camera scam? * - doubledown September 15, 2022, 14:35:59
- Sounds more like you just have a really hard time saying no.* - ISeeDeadHawkeyes September 15, 2022, 14:30:25