oh, and i think we'll see an uptick, though not as large in the US in LGBTQ identity in both Canada Archived Message
Posted by illiniranger on April 28, 2023, 11:59:55, in reply to "no. response rates to LGBTQ are virtually unchanged in Europe and Canada over many decades"
and Western Europe in the next few years. not because "the stigma is gone" (it's been gone there at least two decades) but because world youth culture follows American youth culture. |
i think this is mostly Gen Z signaling allyship to the cause and/or wanting attention.
i don't think 25% of people are LGBTQ, we wouldn't have a human race if we did. it defies reason to think that 1 in 4 people is really LGBTQ and now that the stigma is gone they are all coming out. you see much different response rates in Western Europe, who has been ahead of us for years in terms of social pressure around homosexuality.
the LGBTQ rate in a Canadian survey last year was 4%, and Candada's favorable views of homosexuality 20 years ago are where US views on homosexuality are now. Why aren't we seeing 25% of Canadian HS kids identifying as LGBTQ? Why weren't we seeing a huge uptick years ago?
Because it doesn't have as much political and social salience there.
i think it's just kind of silly that US HS and college age kids are claiming to be LGBTQ at these rates when they are very clearly not. saying that a lot of this is just social signaling and teens going through a phase is OK, because that is what it is.
like 6% have ever actually had sexual contact with someone from the same sex, which closely tracks the historical rate of the gay population from a lot of long term surveys (it's about 5%).
i think there's a social contagion/social signaling effect here with Gen Z where people are saying they are bi, but they have no intention of ever following through with a same sex sexual encounter. if they break this down by demographic you will see that it skews heavily towards college student women stating they are bi. you see this in survey after survey (one article included below.) that's a social contagion/social signaling effect IMO. http://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/happiness-and-the-pursuit-leadership/202111/sex-and-politics-campus
"Twelve percent of college students identify as bisexual, and of those, 72 percent are women."
"Q" is doing there.
Message Thread: | This response ↓
- Biden Press Conference Picture Cards - bigbop85 April 27, 2023, 21:54:46
- Parkway into DC blocked by climate morons - bigbop85 April 28, 2023, 13:55:05
- Any reminders to at least try to show some empathy? - KingTalkyTiki April 28, 2023, 10:57:50
- I got a Topps Biden rookie card from 1973.* - DT April 28, 2023, 9:52:26
- CDC: 1 in 4 high school students identifies as LGBTQ - bigbop85 April 28, 2023, 9:09:38
- ooo - Sammich April 28, 2023, 11:28:24
- It's almost like sexuality is on a spectrum, and young folks NOW feel supported enough.. - KingTalkyTiki April 28, 2023, 10:55:28
- Not surprising now that it's losing stigma. * - doubledown April 28, 2023, 10:18:43
- Not super far off from numbers in the early Kinsey studies. Also not sure how much work - gvibes April 28, 2023, 10:15:23
- What's abnormal about it?* - GrandmotherPearlsJam April 28, 2023, 9:32:55
- "1.8 percent said they didnít understand the question"* - VIV April 28, 2023, 9:29:58
- Axios: Biden difficult to schedule meetings - bigbop85 April 28, 2023, 7:59:36
- if I were President I'd also outlaw meetings before 10 or after 4* - ECEIllinois April 28, 2023, 14:16:25
- A sleeping Biden is 10 times better than an awake Trump* - Stu April 28, 2023, 11:25:29
- he needs his beauty sleep* - TarheelIllini April 28, 2023, 8:50:43
- one of the many downsides of an 80 year old president* - VIV April 28, 2023, 8:46:39
- Executive. Time. - SurfTheBoneyard April 28, 2023, 8:16:18
- Interesting that the post ran that* - Tooldresser April 28, 2023, 7:02:09
- ooo - SurfTheBoneyard April 28, 2023, 6:29:02
- Re: ooo - John Coctostan April 28, 2023, 6:38:46
- I can imagine being prepared for the duties of your job is a foreign concept to you.* - ATL April 28, 2023, 5:14:01
- Wrong board, poopypants* - Stu April 28, 2023, 1:18:21
- Was that the question that was asked? * - doubledown April 27, 2023, 22:30:31
- That's a paywall link to WaPo, despite its appearance.* - complainant April 27, 2023, 22:18:27
- Reagan-esque - WhitmansFolly April 27, 2023, 22:11:02