The latest Commitment of Traders report from the London Robusta coffee market has seen the Speculative Managed Money Sector of this market increase their net long position by 59.65% within the market over the week of trade leading up to Tuesday 18th. August; to register a new long position of 5,535 Lots.  This net long position is the equivalent of 922,500 bags and has most likely been further increased following the period of positive trade that has since followed.
The November to December contract arbitrage between the London and New York markets narrowed on Friday; to register this at 56.02 usc/Lb. This equates to 46.76% price discount for the London Robusta coffee market.
The Certified washed Arabica coffee stocks held against the New York exchange were seen to decrease by 15,958 bags on Friday to register these stocks at 1,337,492 bags, with 93.6% of these certified stocks being held in Europe at a total of 1,251,738 bags and the remaining 6.4% being held in the USA at a total of 85,754 bags. There is meanwhile no change to the number of bags pending grading for this exchange; to register these pending grading stocks at 26,048 bags.
It was a softer day overall on the commodity markets on Friday, to see the overall macro commodity index taking something of a sideways track for the day. The Cocoa, Coffee and Corn markets ended the day on a positive note, while the Oil, Natural Gas, Sugar, Cotton, Copper, Orange Juice, Wheat, Soybean, Gold and Silver markets ended the day on a softer note. The Reuters Equal Weight Continuous Commodity Index that is related to 17 markets is 0.3343% lower; to see this index registered at 403.8628. The day starts with the U.S. Dollar steady, trading at 1.310 to Sterling, at 1.180 to the Euro and with the US Dollar buying 5.619 Brazilian Real.
The London and New York markets started the day on Friday trading on a positive note, both markets continued this firmer track into the early afternoon trade. As the afternoon both the London and the New York markets started to attract a degree of selling pressure to see the markets briefly drop back towards par, before a late in the day rally to see both markets close on a positive note for the day.
The London market ended the day on a positive note and with 87.50% of the earlier gains of the day intact, while the New York market ended the day on a likewise positive note and with 58.62% of the earlier gains of the day intact. This firmer close might inspire some degree of confidence to possibly set the markets for a hesitant steady start to early trade today, against the prices set on Friday, as follows:
LONDON ROBUSTA US$/MT NEW YORK ARABICA USc/Lb.
SEP 1477 + 20 SEP 120.10 + 1.55
NOV 1406 + 21 DEC 119.80 + 0.85
JAN 1411 + 18 MAR 121.60 + 0.80
MAR 1422 + 18 MAY 122.40 + 0.75
MAY 1435 + 18 JUL 123.05 + 0.65
JUL 1448 + 18 SEP 123.65 + 0.65
SEP 1461 + 18 DEC 124.45 + 0.65
NOV 1475 + 18 MAR 125.30 + 0.60
« Back to index