Sounds like "The Professional" is yet another film you waited way too long to watch
Not that the questionable nature of Portman and Reno's relationship wasn't there from the beginning but it definitely seems like you're viewing it through the "scan for controversy/anything that could possibly trigger anyone" 2021 goggles. Actually makes me nostalgic for the 90's, a time when someone could make a film about a little girl "loving" a grown man she wasn't related to without everyone crying "pedo". Though maybe Besson's been me too'd and/or canceled and I'm unaware? Anyway, I'm generally not an action fan but that's one of the best of the genre IMO (and Oldman is awesome, not in spite of the OTT nature of the performance but *because* of it).
You're not supposed to be "fascinated" with the main character in "Roma"- she's supposed to be utterly ordinary and unremarkable. That's sorta the whole point- a film about people who usually aren't represented in film and it arguably still manages to be interesting and immersive. At least you acknowledged that the pregnancy and beach scenes were powerful- not ashamed to admit that both scenes made me cry when I saw the film in the theater.
- You can really only watch it when you're 14 - Norville March 10, 2021, 7:02 pm
- Still not really hearing any valid criticisms - Pugeye March 11, 2021, 9:52 am
- "Realistic"? - B. D. March 11, 2021, 9:19 pm
- Die Hard is also a movie for 14 year olds (nt) - Norville March 11, 2021, 8:12 pm
- You donít think - Ryan March 11, 2021, 12:08 pm
- I think the real problem - Sam March 11, 2021, 11:18 am
- And before you ask- here's a list of my favorite action movies - Pugeye March 11, 2021, 10:41 am
- *it's just an ordinary NYC cop (nt) - Pugeye March 11, 2021, 9:54 am
- Re: You can really only watch it when you're 14 - B. D. March 10, 2021, 8:08 pm
- I saw most of it as a kid - B. D. March 9, 2021, 2:23 pm
- Re: Sounds like "The Professional" is yet another film you waited way too long to watch - Nick E. March 9, 2021, 11:02 am