Still not really hearing any valid criticisms
Variations on "it's stupid/trashy/OTT" don't really carry any weight, since I admitted that from the beginning and that's arguably part of the film's appeal. That's what action movies are supposed to be and Reno, Portman and especially Oldman all deliver performances that are definitely a cut above standard dumb action flick fare. And it's very entertaining- the camerawork and choreography during the action sequences is great as are Reno's superhuman stunts (hanging from the ceiling) and Oldman's wildman shtick.
Part of my problem with action as a genre is that it takes itself too seriously. Action fans love garbage like "Die Hard" which ####ing bored me to tears. It's still dumb as #### but has delusions about being more "realistic" and "gritty"- oh it's just an ordinary NYC who gets caught up in things! But it's mostly Willis hiding from Rickman (whose performance is ridiculously overrated- there's nothing intimidating or even interesting about his character) and "bonding" (in a way that seems completely unearned) with Carl from "Family Matters".
Action is like fantasy- it's generally best when it has a sense of humor about itself and is as cartoony as possible. Similar to how I'd much rather watch "Labyrinth" and the classic Ray Harryhausen films than any of "LOTR" films, I'd much rather watch "The Professional" and "Terminator 2" than "Die Hard" or "Lethal Weapon".
- "Realistic"? - B. D. March 11, 2021, 9:19 pm
- Die Hard is also a movie for 14 year olds (nt) - Norville March 11, 2021, 8:12 pm
- You donít think - Ryan March 11, 2021, 12:08 pm
- I think the real problem - Sam March 11, 2021, 11:18 am
- And before you ask- here's a list of my favorite action movies - Pugeye March 11, 2021, 10:41 am
- *it's just an ordinary NYC cop (nt) - Pugeye March 11, 2021, 9:54 am