I finished up a conference in Siem Reap one time, wandered around a few temples, then went on a date with a weird Finnish girl which just happened to be at a bar where Antoine D'Agata was showing clips from his film White Noise. Got a few hours of sleep and then spent the day exploring Angkor Wat with a Laotian guy I just met.
2) What is your greatest extravagance?
Lots of money on travel, food, and booze
4) What's your idea of a perfect meal?
Some kind of giant Lebanese/Syrian mezze
5) Do you have a favorite hangover cure?
Hoping for death
6) What vehicle do you own?
05 Prius (for picking up girls)
9) What is the oldest item of clothing you still wear?
my dad's tweed jacket from the 70s
10) Who do you love?
11) Who, or what, do you hate?
12) What newspapers and magazines do you read?
For physical print, I had a Jacobin subscription for a while but I let that lapse
13) What would be your desert island book?
The Man Without Qualities
14) What is your favorite TV program?
Look Around You
15) What was the first record you ever bought?
Idk about bought, but I got REM's Document on cassette when I was very young
16) Where do you go to relax?
the Mississippi River
17) What is your most annoying habit?
18) What is your favorite journey?
odd question, but my favorite place to travel is Lisbon. I do want to do an extended Scandinavia trip at some point
19) What is your ultimate ambition?
get a MA in urban economics and spend my life in some vast smoggy Asian mega-city
20) Which person has most influenced you?
Philippe Bourgouis' In Search of Respect had a huge influence on me becoming a serious and successful person when I was 21, rather than just being a sad weirdo (now I am a serious and successful sad weirdo). not sure if the book holds up now, but I can't deny the significance it had
21) What is your greatest achievement?
saving our Nicaragua office days before it shut, helping a few dozen people keep their jobs
23) Do you believe in God?
no, but that'd be cool
24) Do you believe in love at first sight?
25) Do you support the death penalty?
26) What would you like to be your epitaph?
"you know, for kids"